Anyone sew?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother was a professional seamstress and very accomplished with embroidery, crocheting, and knitting. She made much of my clothes when I was a child but never taught me how to sew more than a button! Driven by the declining quality of ready-made clothes and size inflation (I remember being a size 2; now I am size 00 - what gives?), I am just getting into the craft.

This week was the bf's birthday. Since we recently moved from New England to LA, I decided to add a Hawaiian shirt to his wardrobe. It's my first shirt! :)

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Very nice! Nice job with the collar as well. I sew but not at any sort of professional level. My grandmother sewed extremely well and made all my aunt's formal dresses and a lot of the family's clothes. I had one of them (blue velvet for when my aunt was a parade queen) but my mom gave the dress to Goodwill- caused quite a riff. I still have the handmade purse that went with the dress.

My son loves costumes so I make those without patterns but I don't always have the patience for all the detail work. This costume took a fair bit of time. In the end I was pretty happy with it and wore it myself to work for Halloween (it's an assassin from Assassin's Creed.) DOesn't have all the flow of the drawing but it's passable.

I wish I enjoyed it more. I can think of a lot of cool clothes and fashions but dang, for someone who is not detail-oriented, it's hard to follow through.

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 4.11.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 4.18.55 PM.png

Last edited:
I wish I learned sewing but my mom maintains that I need to take a class and I really would rather read and practice to learn.

In any case, If I could sew a shirt like that, that would be awesome.

At one time I made a lot of clothing for myself and my daughter but I never knew how it was going to fit until it was finished. Was disappointed in the fit now and then. Now I do a different kind of sewing. I make things like purses, wall hangings, table runners and placemats. I love to do machine applique make quilts. My latest finished is a 32" wallhanging of day lilies.

Mary Lou

day lilies challenge 005.jpg

Very nice! Nice job with the collar as well. I sew but not at any sort of professional level. My grandmother sewed extremely well and made all my aunt's formal dresses and a lot of the family's clothes. I had one of them (blue velvet for when my aunt was a parade queen) but my mom gave the dress to Goodwill- caused quite a riff. I still have the handmade purse that went with the dress.

My son loves costumes so I make those without patterns but I don't always have the patience for all the detail work. This costume took a fair bit of time. In the end I was pretty happy with it and wore it myself to work for Halloween (it's an assassin from Assassin's Creed.) DOesn't have all the flow of the drawing but it's passable.

I wish I enjoyed it more. I can think of a lot of cool clothes and fashions but dang, for someone who is not detail-oriented, it's hard to follow through.

Homemade costumes this year! Adventure time!

Reference Image:

At one time I made a lot of clothing for myself and my daughter but I never knew how it was going to fit until it was finished. Was disappointed in the fit now and then. Now I do a different kind of sewing. I make things like purses, wall hangings, table runners and placemats. I love to do machine applique make quilts. My latest finished is a 32" wallhanging of day lilies.

Mary Lou

You guys are amazing! :clap:

That's really cute, Saponista!

My sewing skills aren't the greatest, but I made myself some pajama pants last week.

And it appears I deleted the picture from my camera roll. I'll be back after I steal it from Facebook...

Apparently I can't edit from my phone to add a photo, so I apologize for posting back to back.
Here's my pajamas:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1451784029.757129.jpg
And these are handwoven towels I did and had to sew hems on them. That counts, right?
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1451784084.275731.jpg

Those pyjamas look lovely, you just reminded me I had some lovely Liberty print cotton in my stash that I cold turn into some gorgeous pyjamas!!! I love sewing so much but I never seem to find time!

Those handwoven towels are a beautiful colour, I've not ever tried weaving. Do you need expensive equipment?

I wouldn't say expensive. These were done on a rigid heddle loom that was less than $200. There are also pin looms and backstrap looms that can be made really cheap.

Saponista, the pajama monster is such a great idea, and so cute! What a nice job you did. And traderbren, love those pajama pants, and you wove those towels??? The colors are gorgeous. There are some things that are so simple to make, it's a shame to buy them. Like curtains and drapes.....and pajama pants with a drawstring waist. It's just finding the time to do it, and if you can find a fabric store these days. The one and only place around here to buy fabric any more is Joannes. It's such a shame, I remember a fabric store from when I was a kid...it was three floors of amazing stuff. I remember spending hours there with my aunt, fondling fabric. (sigh) There is a fabric store one state over that's the size of a warehouse, with fabric piled to the rafters. They have amazing stuff! If I don't end up in heaven when I die, I'd be happy to land there instead. :-D

These are all great!

We grew up poor and if we wanted clothes that weren't hand-me-downs we sewed them. When I could afford to buy clothes I stopped sewing, for 30 years. Our little doggies get cold, though, and I had a bunch of fleece pants and sweaters I didn't wear. So bought myself a sewing machine and voila, they're warm! Now making lots of these from recycled fleece from thrift stores. Still in prototype mode so most are going to SPCAs and rescue organizations here and in Colorado. When I get them perfected I may try to sell them, but for right now it's just fun.

Fleecies.jpg

Latest posts

Back