Any help please? Re: Safety Assessments in UK.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayuri

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've pretty much figured out all the UK legislation on selling soaps etc but I am having big problems in finding a decent company to use for a safety assessment. I have been referred to one company who are a 'consultant' and do all the work for £150.00. They seem very good but you do get warned about the whole 'pre-certified' assessments that are no way good enough and won't hold up for Trading Standards etc.

Has anybody used a good safety assessor? I'm really struggling for any help with this lol so I will apreciate any responses I get :)

Thanks in advance!

Hi there
I'm kind of in the same boat!
I got all excited when I found the company who do it all for £150, but if it's not good enough for trading standards, then it's money straight down the drain!

It's really quite misleading :x

Not good enough for Trading standards??? Thats PANTS! I've just had 4 done, and all are suitable for ANY inspection. They did cost £150 each through a broker, but they're an asset for my business. I'd like at least another 2, but they'll have to wait till I have some dosh! Also, the broker made sure that I had everything in place, and I knew what I was doing.

PM me if you'd like details of where I got mine from.

PS - don't forget, if you want to sell, and you're weighing out your soaps - you'll need a Trade Approved scale. That'll set you back around £150. :roll:

The test that I found was from Cosmetic Safetey Assessmemt.co.uk
For £150 they have a list of 10 base soaps plus a list of hundreds of fragrances, colours and additives that you can use to make limitles combinations without having to get each variation individually tested and certified. So for a one off cost of £150, you can make as many different soaps as you can think of using their "extensive list".
That's for M&P, though, so I don't know if it's any different for CP soaps. :?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys :)

Emilaid - That's exactly what I found. £150.00 from TheSoapSchool. Apparently they put 13 soap bases and 2000+ extras like fragrances, essential oils, dried petals etc etc etc

I think it sounds pretty good and I've emailed them but you are just never sure when it's ordering over the internet. Plus it's so hard for recommendations on where to go. But saying that, after their replies they sound legit so I will probably go there :)

Soap School and Cosmetic Safetey Assessmemt.co.uk are both good. And they both cover a range of products.

Either of them are extremley helpful and also make soaps.

Sayuri - how are you getting on with your safety assessment?
Did you decide to go ahead with it? :)

Hi!

I still haven't decided quite yet who to use. I'm waiting on the business side of things first, registering as a business and bank stuff. I'll probably be making the choice in the next week or so. I'll definitely make a post on who I used though :)

Latest posts

Back