Any benefits to no-gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmouton

Reaction score
I always make sure my soaps gel, but I've been reading a lot of topics about room temperature CP, followed by no gel.

Can anyone summarize the differences in no gel soap, either in color, texture, ability to hold fragrance, performance "in the shower", etc?

And does yours ever gel ANYWAYS? I've put soap in the freezer, only to pull it out 48 hours later and have it start to spontaneously gel!! Ugh.

ETA: I know there are similar posts about room temp soaping, I guess I'm more concerned about the no-gel aspect. :)

Thanks!

The only benefit I can see, if you see it as a benefit, is that the soap will stay more opaque, but personally, I prefer the translucent look of gelled soap. JMHO

Some people feel that the fragrance materials stick better if it doesn't gel. I personally haven't found this to be the case, but I haven't tried every fragrance material so I'm not gonna argue.

Some have found that discoloration is lessened (not really eliminated).

Most find that the color is more opaque. And for milk soaps it can keep them considerably whiter (according to milk soapers).

I don't avoid gel any longer, but for many the primary reason is to avoid gel is because if they let it heat up they end up with overheated soaps - which can result in cracking, oozing, alligator skin, lye pockets, etc.

Wow - I've never had my freezer soaps gel after I remove them - and it's the only way I make GM CP soap.

I almost never gel except when making salt bars or when I decide I want a dark color.

Generally I prefer the solid opaque look and the texture of ungelled soap and since I also prefer RTCP with a pre-mixed lye solution... preventing gel is pretty easy. I just refrigerate my molds, take them out to pour, and pop them right back in the fridge for 48 hours.

I do feel the scents stick better in many (but not all) cases.

Bahahahaha Carebear! Mine spontaneously gel after a freezer treatment ALL the time. Frustrating! Thanks for the info everyone. You covered all of my main aesthetic concerns!

Back