Another silly question, lol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.t.e.r.r.a.

Reaction score
Again, I apologize for my cluelessness. If I'm going to buy a standard size loaf pan that is 9 1/4 inches long, 2 3/4" deep, 3 1/4" at widest point, and holds 40 liquid ounces.... how many pounds of glycerin soap base do I need to buy to fill that up?

When l want to know the amount of soap base l need for a certain mold l put the mold on the scales turn back the scales to zero and then fill up the mold with water the weight of the water is how much base you need.Since you already know it holds 40 ounces that means you need 40 ounces of base.

If you don't have a scale, you can use a measuring cup - I use a permanent marker and write the amount on each mold so I don't have to remember (memory is a faculty that forgets, as my father used to say!)

I measure my melted base and get the right amount for each mold.
The only thing is, with this method, you know how much melted base to use but not how much to melt in the first place - that, you get better at with experience too.

Catmehndi said:
If you don't have a scale, you can use a measuring cup - I use a permanent marker and write the amount on each mold so I don't have to remember (memory is a faculty that forgets, as my father used to say!)

I measure my melted base and get the right amount for each mold.
The only thing is, with this method, you know how much melted base to use but not how much to melt in the first place - that, you get better at with experience too.

I hope l am not stating the obvious but the amount of melted base should equal the amount of solid base melted.
You can also measure using water it might not be spot on but its near enough.

Latest posts

Back