Another disappointment .... help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clhigh29

Reaction score
This has been a disappointing week for me with my soap. Can anyone please help me with my newest problem? I made this recipe yesterday:

Olive Oil - 21.2 oz.
Palm Oil - 10.6 oz.
Coconut Oil (76 degrees) - 10.6 oz.
Rice Bran Oil - 4.77 oz.
Shea Butter - 3.18 oz.
Castor Oil - 2.65 oz.
Essential Oils - Lavender 40/42, Rosemary, Bergamot EO - 3.0 oz.
Colloidal Oatmeal = 4 tablespoons
Lavender Buds
Oat Milk made with Lavender water = 20 oz.
Lye = 7.29 oz.
Titanium Dioxide and Grape Lab Color

lavender.jpg

I hope you're able to see this, because this is my first time posting a pic and don't know if I'm doing it right. You'll see that right in the center of the log is about an 1 1/2" long crack and a few smaller ones around it.
I poured at light trace - this recipe usually doesn't get much past that state for me. I've been soaping for only 5 months now and have made all of my mistakes in the past 6 days - ugh! Would appreciate any info you got.

Can't be sure, but it could have overheated.

However, if it is in any unstable mold (not wood) it could have just cracked when you picked it up if it is still soft. If still soft, you can push the soap gently back together. Put your gloves on, wet a couple of fingers, and slide over the top of the cracks once pushed back together.

Looks to me like it is the softness issue though. Going to check the recipe now too. BRB.

Okay, recipe is okay, varying between BB and soapcalc here. Just needs to sit longer if it is soft. If it is hard and gelled, it over heated, just cover with thin towel next try. I think it is soft though.

See what others have to say, but I think it will be fine. Just a softer soap, needs longer to harden before picking up or cutting.

Last edited:
I think it may have overheated? If the soap is still very soft, try pressing it back together. The soap should be fine, it's just a cosmetic issue. And it looks like a very small crack. Did you get a full gel?

I was careful to bring both the oil and the lye mix to 110 degrees before blending, and I used a wooden mold. I did notice upon checking it last night that the mold seemed quite warm ... warmer than usual, so overheating could be the issue here, though I insulated it the same and I normally do. But I'll breath a sign of relief based on this feedback. Thanks dixiedragon and mel z!!!

What I think may have happened is you got a partial gel. If you slice the soap and there is a darker ring in the middle, that's what happened. If so, don't worry, it's just cosmetic.

What I have observed is as the soap gels, it starts from the inside. Sometimes the soap will get hot enough that it expands a bit and pushes up, so cracks develop in the top of the soap. When that happens to me, I just stir it a bit. I have had a case where a small crack developed, but when the entire loaf reached gel stage the crack mended, because at gel the soap is very very runny.

Spray with an alcohol/water mix and lightly press back together. :)
Looks like could have been a little overheat but very minor.

Adding something like oatmeal (and probably oat water) adds sugar to the recipe, which heats it up more. Have you used anything containing sugar before? That may explain why it seemed warmer this time.

Honestly, I didn't know anything about overheating until now. Like I said earlier, my projects have been going very well until this past week (maybe too well). I guess I'm entering my next stage of learning ... outside the book and from experience! I found this forum just in time. Thanks again all!

it's slight overheating. it's not the end of the world. if it's still there when you cut, just cut the top off, and no one will be the wiser....

Latest posts

Back