Soap is crumbling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie

Reaction score
I made soap yesterday, forgot my FO. Anyways, I unmolded it today, was cutting it and it started to fall apart, Ugh. I think I need to stop making soap LOL. Here’s the formula:

Weight of oils: 50.50
Faux Sea Water: 11.91 oz
Lye: 7.00 oz
5% Castor: 2.33 oz
10% CO: 5.05 oz
85% OO Pomace: 42.93 oz
1T Kaolin Clay - added to cooled Lye water
2t SG - added to cooled Lye water

I used ZNSC formula. Water : Lye Ratio: 1.7:1 with no SF. Can anyone please tell me what I did wrong?
IMG_20221207_165352569.jpg

Last edited:
I think you waited too long to cut it? I always make ZNSC in cavity molds so i don't have to cut it.
I think you are right 👍. Like you mentioned, I think I'll run it through my food processor and use it in another soap

Last edited:
In the oven it is for rebatch. It crumbled to mostly powder. I hope I did it right, I don’t have a cover for my soap pot so I just put foil over the top and crumpled it up. I’ll check it in an hour, it’s going to be a long night LOL. I’ll see how it is once it is all melted. Didn’t add water or milk since it’s fresh soap, in the pot dry.

Last edited:
In the oven it is for rebatch. It crumbled to mostly powder. I hope I did it right, I don’t have a cover for my soap pot so I just put foil over the top and crumpled it up. I’ll check it in an hour, it’s going to be a long night LOL. I’ll see how it is once it is all melted. Didn’t add water or milk since it’s fresh soap, in the pot dry.
Take that foil off right now please - keep it as far away from the soap as possible. It reacts with the lye. Just put a plate on top if you don't have a lid.

Oh man, thank goodness you read what the heck I am doing. Foil is off and an oven safe plate is on the pot. Thank you!

Not even 10:30pm in Nevada for @Paulie ... going on 11:30pm here in Idaho. Prime soaping hours when everyone else is down for the count. :)
Yep, and with hubby laid up, he's sleeping in his chair. I'm gonna be waking him up 🤣. It's ok, he's been getting plenty of naps.
You lot are probably tired. Isn't it beddy-byes time over there?

Thank goodness for you ladies! I appreciate you all! @KiwiMoose, @AliOop & @Zany_in_CO in helping me with this. I found Zany_in_Co Oven Rebatch, so thought that would be easiest right now. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I checked it at the hour mark, no changes. I’m going to let it go another hour and if nothing, add some milk since I did the ZNSC, the water is so discounted it might need some help and since it is an all veggie soap, Zany_in_CO’s Oven Rebatch post says to add milk.

Add just a little boiled (distilled/rain) water to help it melt ... if it's crumbly, the soap might need the extra moisture to kick off the melting (also, with a loose cover you'll lose moisture, so adding some will be beneficial).

Also, what temperature is it melting at?

Latest posts

Back