Anise Cedarwood Cinnamon Leaf & A Bit of Everything

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantolive

Reaction score
Neither of these batches went as planned. The stickblender spewed air bubbles like crazy. Things accelerated on me (may have been the castor oil and the EOs). Not a total loss since I like the scents and if the tester bits are to be trusted, they'll cure up to be perfectly usable soap.

Scent: Anise + Cedarwood + Cinnamon Leaf EOs
Colorants: Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarine Blue, Purple (Ultramarine Blue + Red Oxide)
Swirl/Pour: Faux Funnel Pour (errr, well it was supposed to be)

Definitely moved fast on me. The first set of pours looked like they would go ok, then all of a sudden things got gloopy, especially the blue. Whacked things in the mold as quick as I could. I'm liking the scent and I'm pretty happy with the tone of the colors.

Scent: Basically a little bit of all my FOs and EOs, so citrusy woodsy spicey herbally
Colorants: Titanium Dioxide, Black Oxide, Teal (Ultramarine Blue + Chromium Oxide Ultra Green), Orange (Yellow Oxide + Red Oxide), Chromium Oxide Ultra Green, Pinkish Purple (Red Oxide + Ultramarine Blue)
Swirl/Pour: Was suppose to try a Drop Pour, but that didn't happen

Holy gloopy mess part 2! Was scooping this into the mold as if the batters were mashed potatoes (though thankfully not as grainy). Tried to run a chopstick through it just to flatten our the layers, but no go. Lots of air pockets, even though I bang the mold on the counter.

The scent, however, is divine! And this was a redo of the recipe I had liked, but that was too soft/sticky (the green spoon swirl - lime mint FO batch). Added some salt and sugar, and used a different mold since I noticed that mold had made another soft loaf. Maybe it was a combination of the batter consistency, salt/sugar and the mold, but this loaf was easy to unmold and cut. May still be able to use my favorite version of the recipe!

I think the soap gremlins had their fun with me and have decided I had enough of their shenanigans for now. Tuesday night I made my first salt bars and that went smoothly, and last night my first castile, which I'm excited to unmold and cut. :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't decide what is better the soap or the photography...they are both great art!

I like them both but I LOVE that second one. VERY interesting & definitely an eye catcher.

The second one is super-unique looking! I think they look great, especially considering the acceleration!

Very creative soaps. Love how you encircled the colors with white in the second one. Fabulous photography too!

Great soap and great photos. You know that second one made me think of those God's Eye things we used to make in camp when I was a kid -- those yarn thingies wound around sticks. Nice colors!

Thank you everyone!

And thank you for reminding/reinforcing that after the initial disappointment of things not going as planned, they aren't such bad looking soaps. Just different!

I think your soaps look cool even with the acceleration. I'd blame the acceleration on the cinnamon leaf EO - in my experience, spice oils REALLY speed things up. Clove EO, for example, has caused my soap to seize in the past.

Latest posts

Back