An hp Artist...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice ! , i have heard of "microwave" hp before but this was my 1st time seeing the process done , it's very interesting and something i will try at a later point in time . thank you for the link .

nice ! , i have heard of "microwave" hp before but this was my 1st time seeing the process done , it's very interesting and something i will try at a later point in time . thank you for the link .

I made a 100g shaving soap last night, using the microwave. However, I think the slow cooker is best for the bigger batches - you can't stir while it is warm................

I'm trying the microwave method now and its not going too well. My soap kept trying to boil over and when it finally went translucent, it was still really thin even though it only had 2:1 water:lye in it.
I forgot to let it cool before adding my extra liquid so the buttermilk in it burned and the whole mess turned bright orange and tried to volcano. Stirred it into submission and now it keeps separating and looks like caramel. The ammonia smell is terrible, I've never burned milk before so I hope it goes away.

I'm letting it cool down, hopefully it will come back together so I can go ahead and color/pour. Glad I tried this with a small batch, its a ugly mess so far. I'm not going to bother wasting any scent on it. I think I'll stick to my crock pot for now on. I do like the idea of saving extra liquid to add after the cook though.

it is of great interest to me, that she makes wonderful swirls with hp...

check her % water... she even adds at the end to keep a fluidity. Even though I have not an idea about soaping like others, I believe she uses the microwave to test the batch. I agree only logically since I am inexperienced, with The Efficacious Gentleman that a bigger batch needs a crock pot...

Either this is harder then it looks or I just fail. I ended up with soap but it was the worse, waxy crumbly mess ever. I'm rebatching it with some other bars.

I followed Roberta's original method with a crockpot, not with the microwave. If you just go with her percentages and forget about the microwave it works well. I saw many of those magpies over at 'the other place' tear her apart because they couldn't reproduce it. Their issue, not hers. Roberta (ByrdiJean) is a wonderful, caring, sharing person and I'm happy to have her as a soaping friend.

it is of great interest to me, that she makes wonderful swirls with hp...

check her % water... she even adds at the end to keep a fluidity. Even though I have not an idea about soaping like others, I believe she uses the microwave to test the batch. I agree only logically since I am inexperienced, with The Efficacious Gentleman that a bigger batch needs a crock pot...

Isn't adding the extra water opening yourself to glycerine rivers?

I added extra water to shave soap I was making (this was 3 or 4 months ago) and got big "chunks" of glycerine ... instead of "rivers" I call them "glycerine gumdrops."

I had added water to make the soap more fluid to load it in a mold. No more adding water for me, not doing that again.

-Dave

"Glycerine" rivers are not about water content, they're about different soap molecules in the soap that cool and solidify at different temps. And only in CP, not HP. If you had liquidy or goopy areas in your soap, you either had an emulsion failure or didn't mix well enough or something of that nature.

With all the extra liquid she uses to keep it fluid, wouldn't it take just as much time to dry out as CP would take to cure? Anyone who used her % want to chime in with your experience as far as how long it took for your bars to get hard?

I've not used her amount, only the default water.

I think that hp needs MORE of a cure than cp does, as cp often has discounted water that is not possible in hp. The idea that hp needs less of a cure (or no cure at all!) is an old dream that lives on :(

That is some really wet HP. Wonder how long that takes to cure out? Looks cool, though.

It doesn't take any longer to dry out than CP and I've come around to what TEG has been saying, HP needs just as long, if not longer a cure than CP to really last, but only if you're playing with swirls, etc. HP soap that's just made via standard methods and put into a mold (with the ensuing dry type tops, crumbly, you know, what we're used to in 'cooked' soap) cooks out some of that water in the process, and I do believe that's ready a bit sooner.

It doesn't take any longer to dry out than CP and I've come around to what TEG has been saying, HP needs just as long, if not longer a cure than CP to really last, but only if you're playing with swirls, etc. HP soap that's just made via standard methods and put into a mold (with the ensuing dry type tops, crumbly, you know, what we're used to in 'cooked' soap) cooks out some of that water in the process, and I do believe that's ready a bit sooner.

I've only made hp soap the standard way with dry tops and all and I still find it need longer to set up than most of my cp soaps to have a quality bar that doesn't melt and slime away easily. Just my two cents.

Latest posts

Back