Alright, I cave...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you just finish making your CP soap, you need to let it rest for a few weeks, for the reaction to complete. During that period, the soap will still be caustic, and can burn your skin if you use it. To know when the soap is ready, most use a test called the "battery test", or "zap test". that is, we apply a little soap to the tip of the tongue. If the soap "zaps" you (that is, if it burns your tongue) it's still not ready for use.

:shock: And that is desirable to try?!?! I don't know if I can do that, I've read too many books that frightened me. What about taking a small soap curl from the soap and testing it with phenolphthalein instead?

What about that one article that claimed soap is safe to use after about 48 hours, that the additional curing time is really just to improve bar hardness?

Actually, from what I know... it shouldn't really zap you at all once it's done. I believe it's ok if it zaps a little at first, then it will hopefully go away... but it shouldn't (IMHO) take weeks. If it's zapping, it means that the soap is lye heavy and thus caustic.

(I can't remember if this was said in the other post)
The zap refers to the feeling if you either lick the soap (eew) or wet your finger rub the soap and then touch it to your tongue. It feels like putting your tongue on a battery.

I have used my soap at the 4 day mark and it was fine... didn't last too long, but it was fine.

I don't know about using phenolphthalein. Never did.
Anyways, I think I got you unnecessarily scared about the battery test. When I said it "burns your tongue", I didn't mean you'll get blisters, or nothing extreme. You just feel the "bite", like when you test a battery.
The reason you use your tongue is because it's way more resistant to acids and alkalis than the rest of your skin, while still being sensitive enough.

About the 48 hrs...I don't know. I made CP soap, and a week after I cut it it still zapped me, so I wouldn't dream to use it.
When I made HP, I did use it right away, but even when it was safe, it was pretty crappy... It took about a month to really get better.

I just licked my first bar of soap yesterday, a was so very skeerd, lol. It took me about 20 minutes to work up my nerve and then only after my husband licked it for me first.
The soap is only about a week old, but I had to know. We didn't get zapped!
So this is good right?

I zapped myself with my HP soap and survived (since I never did touch a battery with my tongue). It's like a bite, but honestly, I don't do the test until I'm sure the soap seems safe. That way I won't get zapped, hopefully.

Don't fear the ZAP! :)

Truly, it's not as horrible as it sounds, or how we sometimes make it out to sound. :wink: It's really no worse than sticking a small dab of hot sauce to the tip of your tongue. The pain completely goes away in a second or two after removing your tongue from the offending soap. If you need extra reassurance that your tongue will be okay, just keep a small cup of water or vinegar nearby to briefly swish your tongue around in as soon as you remove it from the soap.

What about that one article that claimed soap is safe to use after about 48 hours, that the additional curing time is really just to improve bar hardness?

While in most cases that statement is true, it's not necessarily true in every case. I've had a few batches of soap still zap me after a week of cure, but by their second week of cure they were perfectly fine (just like Inodoro Pereyra reproted in one of the posts above). It's always a good idea to test it to make sure. :)

I've also found that curing does more than just evaporate water- it also mellows my soap out and makes it milder and milder as time goes on. Most of the saponification is done within 24-48 hours, but there are still micro-changes going on, for I find that my soap at 4 weeks old is amazingly more bubbly and mild compared to my soap at 48 hours old. It's also harder and longer lasting in the shower.

IrishLass :)

ok, zap test people, im scared to do this but i did, does it take a few seconds to feel anything? it was a slight tingle, soap made yesterday. Daughter said she might have felt something.

Based on my newbie experiences with zap testing/tongue testing you will know when you get zapped. I did the test on a non-gelled day old soap and it stung. It's pretty instantaneous for me.

DeeDee said:
I just licked my first bar of soap yesterday, a was so very skeerd, lol. It took me about 20 minutes to work up my nerve and then only after my husband licked it for me first.
ROFL, my hubby will not test the soap for me , it is so funny to me that a 6ft manly man is afraid to lick soap :D I ask him every batch I make , I am going to wear him down :wink:

Kitn

I ask him every batch I make , I am going to wear him down Wink

Kitn

Lol!

I caught my husband off guard. He had just got home from a big golf tournament that he won, so he was in a really good mood. Of course he had a pretty good buzz going on too, with the celebrating afterwards.
That might of played to my advantage. :D
He did later tell me that he can't believe I talked him into doing that.
He probably won't be so easy to "lick test" for me again. :/

Latest posts

Back