aloe vera

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catikit

Reaction score
Adding aloe vera to my soaps. Have tried adding it as 50% of the water content - but just before trace. However, i found that the lye didnt dissolve well in only the half amount of water. Instead, tried to lye to 50:50 water:aloe at start of process - would this eliminate any of the good properties of the aloe?

Ive used Aloe Juice several times in my soap. I freeze it and use it 100% to mix my lye. I'm not sure about any properties, I would assume the lye would consume most anything in it, but it does make a nice liquid to use in soap. I honestly can't tell the difference between any of my soaps made with it or without it.

I've used aloe juice instead of water, 100%. Dissolved my lye in it and had no problems. Since even at trace most of the lye is still active, adding aloe juice at trace isn't going to "save" it from the lye, if the lye is going to do anything to it. I don't know how much lye will react with aloe juice. I haven't tested it yet, but I don't think aloe juice is especially acidic, so the lye may not affect it much at all. Now that is something to research.......

Hey
I make a triple aloe soap thats great.
Use aloe juice as the lye water
also use aloe butter in oil mix
then add fresh aloe at end of cook off (CPHP)
block, cure, great stuff
good luck

I make aloe/cream soap. I dissolve my lye in water which is half the liquid, then substitute cream and aloe juice for the other half of the liquid. These can be added to the oils and blended before adding the lye or added at thin trace.

lsg said:
I make aloe/cream soap. I dissolve my lye in water which is half the liquid, then substitute cream and aloe juice for the other half of the liquid. These can be added to the oils and blended before adding the lye or added at thin trace.

I do this quite often as well. Such an nice and easy way to work with cream, aloe, etc.

Back