Aloe and Lanolin bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have the oil lanolin. I use it for my shaving soap. I have had a few people who have mentioned they are allergic to lanolin, so I always ask if they are sensitive to lanolin before I sell it to them. It is moisturizing.

Not a bother at all. I don't notice a smell either in the butter or the oil. I have been slowly experimenting 1/2% at a time for a fragile skin recipe; (think elderly skin that bruises, tears easily). I have gone up to 8%, but like 5% personally. I have noted comments from my "younger skin" testers that they find it a little waxy at 5%, but at 3% they did not notice much of a difference from soap without lanolin. **I have been using EO/FO in these soaps, but even when I am heating the oils, do not notice anything "pungent".

I was a pincushion when I left the hospital - bruising from IV's at both elbows and the inside of my right wrist and top of my left hand. Using my 5% lanolin soap I cleared up all of the bruising to just a pale green in a week without using any moisturizer.

I love it - but as cgpeanut has mentioned, please check with your uncle, testers, etc for possible allergies. Without looking for my research notes, there is a small % that has a common allergy to lanolin.

This is a base recipe that I would love to wholesale. In LTC facilities, residents are only scheduled for showers, baths a minimum of 2x weekly. They use the cheapest soap they can find and generally don't rinse it off very well. I have planned some formal testing of only a quick rinse to see how easily my soap rinses off, but haven't got that far yet.

One thing I will say though is my soap recipe needs a minimum of an 8 week cure because I only take a small water discount. I use coconut milk and coconut water in all my soap, and so I use full water or only 4% discount to keep things from overheating, keep batter workable. At 4 or even 6 weeks, I just don't like it. At 3 months magic happens and I don't even use a moisturizer on my body anymore.

I'm a big fan as if you can't tell. I thought my milk soaps were good, but just missing something. I think I found it with the lanolin. Next lanolin experiments are with my MP bases. They are just too cleansing for me.

Latest posts

Back