Almond oil that has other ingredients ....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
So yesterday I went to the dollar store, and I found 4 oz bottles of avocado, almond and jojoba oil in the beauty section. I got a couple of the almond one, although in retrospect, maybe I should have got jojoba too. 4 oz for one buck is so cheap.

However, the reason I did not get more is because when you read the ingredients, is not really 100% as they say. But I was wondering if I can use some in my batch? Perhaps to mix the micas as an added moisturizing bonus? It smells so good, and I found the same one at Walmart site.

If I can use it, do I put it in the calculator as almond oil? Or do I do not put it at all if I just add say 0.5 oz ? I normally superfat at 2%, so I don't think it will be an issue ...

Ingredients on the bottle say: mineral oil, tocopharyl acetate, olea-euparea (olive) fruit oil, fragrance, rosemary, leaf oil, jojoba seed oil, sweet almond oil.

It's mostly mineral oil -- they just wafted the sweet almond or jojoba by the bottle before putting the cap on. The jojoba and sweet almond oil are listed after the fragrance, and my guess is fragrance is 3% at most. So that means each of these oils is less than 3% of the final product, assuming the ingredients list is in order from most to least.

I'd treat it basically as mineral oil. Mineral oil doesn't saponify so there is no saponification value for it. Sometimes people use mineral oil in soap (I haven't), but if I remember correctly, it can make your soap soft if used in a large amount.

There's a reason why it was only $1! ;)

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with using it ... it's just not quite what you thought!

Thanks De Anna. I appreciate your answer!

Maybe I can use it to mix my gold mica for the top of the soap, when I am not looking to incorporate it.

Is probably good for the hands too. Is not a big loss anyway :)

I think I am going to make a one pound batch with lard, so I know it should harden well, and use 0.5 oz, which would be very little after trace, see what happens.

I read that you can apply mineral oil to molds before pouring the soap to avoid soap sticking to it. I think it will help with pvc/ plastic/ silicon molds I guess.

Still that's a pretty expensive bottle of oil for the contents. I did the same thing once. When I was in New York last year, I tried a free sample for facial application of a cream (or lotion?) that contained truffle oil and gold. Of course at $75 per ounce I never will buy it, but it felt so fabulous on my skin, that I loved it! So when I saw truffle oil in a small bottle somewhere (in my travels) I bought it to see if it would feel just as wonderful. Well, lo and behold, I didn't read the ingredients before getting it home, it was mostly Olive Oil, with some truffle oil and truffle fragrance. Does NOT smell good as a facial application.

So I could not sleep last night, which is not uncommon for me, and decided to make a small batch. Note to self. Do not use your good stuff when testing!

Do not add it to your batch, even after trace! :headbanging:fingerwagging:problem::Kitten Love:

I had lay out pretty Christmas colors and an amazing fragrance, and my batter look gorgeous, and then I added the almond/mineral oil. Instantly it hardened, Look like a hard custard!

I had no time for anything. I had mix some of the red and green, And I just put an extra glove and tool all my glop and smashed it inside the mold.

It was awful! I have no idea what is going to come out in terms of design. Will probably have many air pockets. I also used too much red. Maybe the soap will be ok. And maybe when I get it out of the mold is would be a fun Christmas design.... I can only hope ..... is about 6 hours later, and is as hard as a rock already. But I will wait a couple of days before I pop it out.

I will keep you all posted.

well I could not wait and cut it. Is not horrible, but I am not happy with it so I will mill it and recreate.

It actually suds really well!

DSCN1782.JPG

DSCN1785.JPG

I added a little peppermint FO. I usually add FO at 3 to 4 %, so just added a tiny bit, since it did hold up some. So if it looks like peppermint bark is great!! Thank you all!

At least I can give it away on Christmas. I actually tried a small bar, which I should have not because is CP, and it feels oh so good on the skin. So it was a good safe, is just not perfect looking.

Latest posts

Back