Alligator Pie, Alligator Pie, If I don't get some........

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that I have that song burned into your ears...

When my daughter moved, she cleaned out her freezer and gifted me with a few things, including about 1/2 lb. of alligator meat. I've never had alligator meat. Alligators do not live around here.

What do I do with it?

It's been a looonngg time since I ate any gator, but I seem to remember it was fried and bite sized.

I've not tried alligator but there's an island south of me where I've had crocodile.

If you're feeling adventurous and want to look it up, search for "crocodile sisig" and "crocodile tapa."

The second is marinated and fried, here we eat tapa with rice and eggs for breakfast, and pickled papaya. It's served almost everywhere. Beef though lol

The sisig is slightly more complicated. A lot of bars serve it with beer and we all go home smelling of it lol. Mostly pork but some serve chicken and tuna also. Garlic, ginger, onions, vinegar, soy sauce, chilies, mayo and eggs too. And chives and calamansi (a local sweet sour lime) to garnish. Lemon or lime works too, or none hehe

I might have forgotten an ingredient or two since I don't cook it.

You'll probably get more results for a generic search of sisig and tapa though lol

I third the seasoned nuggets idea. Toss in flour and fry, whatever seasoning floats your boat.

There’s a Cajun place by us that serves then in an appetizer with some sort of remulade for dipping and a lemon wedge to squeeze over top

I don't eat meat of any kind, but my granddaughter had some alligator tots at a restaurant once. I don't remember what they were really called, but they looked like tator tots, so I am calling them alligator tots. I second the spicy remoulade dipping sauce suggestion. She liked them, but at first didn't want her parents to know she had eaten 'gator, for some reason. Eventually she told them and couldn't remember why she thought they wouldn't approve.

If you are not into deep fried foods, here is a recipe for baked alligator fillets (marinate first.) http://www.produceoasis.com/Recipe/ViewRecipe/TabId/295/Rid/390/Alligator-OVEN-BAKED.aspx

As a young girl - my daddy would go out into the swamps and kill gator from time to time. He’d bring it home and mama would clean it up and prep it for the deep freeze. We only ate the tail part but it was good eating! Mama would do all sorts of things with it....mostly fried like catfish or chicken tenders but she’d make casseroles with a can or 2 of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup and some cheese and we’d have it over a nice bowl of rice. That really takes me back - so long ago but such great family memories!

@Deadgroovy do you know of this alligator pie malarkey? I know what a meat and potato pie is. However I had a very erm sensible not so sober conversation about the Chinese owners of the dw stadium making dog meat pies mostly because i genuinely thought i could smell dog food yet was ensured it was pies don't remember them smelling like that last year! Quite worryingly that wasn't even the strangest conversation i was involved in that evening while watching the rugby must of missed about 5 minutes from laughing.

Last edited:
As a young girl - my daddy would go out into the swamps and kill gator from time to time. He’d bring it home and mama would clean it up and prep it for the deep freeze. We only ate the tail part but it was good eating! Mama would do all sorts of things with it....mostly fried like catfish or chicken tenders but she’d make casseroles with a can or 2 of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup and some cheese and we’d have it over a nice bowl of rice. That really takes me back - so long ago but such great family memories!
upload_2019-2-22_17-10-12.gif

I’ve never heard of that song. And we don’t have alligators nor crocs in NZ so can’t help you out there. But I’m thinking something Cajun. It sounds like it would lend itself to Cajun.
For your enjoyment...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gator po' boy! Seasoned and lightly fried, with a remoulade drizzle like the others have said. Dressed with tomatoes, cabbage or lettuce, pickles and whatever veggies you normally like on sandwiches. Serve on warm french bread/baguette with crispy crust and soft center. Oh my...I need to head south (or maybe north!)

Latest posts

Back