Results of market yesterday

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally no rain on market day so we were able to go. This is a quick summary how it went. Sales for soap were a grand total of 8 bars of soap, makes me wonder why I bother. :( Total of $96 in B&B products, and $350 in crochet hats and hoods... :) Sadly this has been fairly a fairly typical scenario in the last year.

Markets in my area of So Cal are slowing dying, especially for the handmade bath and body products. There was a time I could make $400-500 at my weekly Friday market, selling B&B products. That market changed management and is falling apart, vendors are barely making booth space and it is a market that is 25+ yrs old.

Fortunately my 2 weekend holiday show still goes well or I think I would quit this business. And then there is the fact I just cannot get motivated to make soap these days :(

Oh, I'm sorry. I have those unmotivated days too. But that dying market is sad. Maybe there's another one? But that was great sales on crocheted items! I sell from home, would that be an option? I went to our local Sat. morning market once,probably 8 yrs. ago when I was selling soap for 3.50 ea. and made $300. from 8:00- 1:00. Too much work these days. So I sell from home. Sometimes good, sometimes poor. January and Feb. this year is terrible. Hopefully you're all better from your flu?
ETA: Meant to say my MIL went to market with me with crocheted items and sold nothing!

Oh, I'm sorry. I have those unmotivated days too. But that dying market is sad. Maybe there's another one? But that was great sales on crocheted items! I sell from home, would that be an option? I went to our local Sat. morning market once,probably 8 yrs. ago when I was selling soap for 3.50 ea. and made $300. from 8:00- 1:00. Too much work these days. So I sell from home. Sometimes good, sometimes poor. January and Feb. this year is terrible. Hopefully you're all better from your flu?
ETA: Meant to say my MIL went to market with me with crocheted items and sold nothing!
The trick to the crochet is I am selling at a Kaiser Hospital ;), but B&B in the past were also good selling. I also sold well 8-9 years ago and did 4-5 markets per week so actually made decent added income. That started changing about 4 yrs ago and the booth costs keep going up with $50- 75 being the normal, with the markets not warranting the costs. So I am probably going to stick with bi-yearly and yearly multi day markets.

I am pretty much over the flu except the dizziness, it is driving me crazy :(

Carolyn that stinks. At least you have your crochet stuff. I quit doing markets. They are just so overpopulated with soapmakers here. 3-4 at a market. I do mostly weekend shows in tourist towns and still continue to do really well. So, unless that changes, I'll keep dong them. If they go to pot I'll have to re-evaluate. I still really enjoy them so that's a good thing. Hope things get better for you. I was in a making drought for months and months. Finally got some made.

Sorry to hear that the market did not go well. I don't do craft shows or online selling of B&B products anymore. I once sold my B&B products on Etsy, but the market was too crowded. I still sell my paper products and cards on Etsy. I am wondering if you could try featuring your products at touristy-type stores. Just an idea

:( I’m at the same point! I have cut down on shows that are all day things because that time is so valuable. Even when I’m the only soap maker, I can barely eek out the show fee. I also sell out of a friend’s coffee shop and do pretty well there. I do sell more B&B than soap. I think it’s more trendy now than actual bar soaps.

Seems like our local area is pretty saturated with knit and crochet items as well and I don’t typically sell my items. I take special orders and do very well that way.

Oh man, Carolyn, that's terrible about the market! I hope you find a solution for selling and the inspiration to continue making. I'm in the same boat for not wanting to make (although I think mine is more linked to just having so much 2018 and 2017 stock left to sell, that what's the point in making more??).

Oh man, Carolyn, that's terrible about the market! I hope you find a solution for selling and the inspiration to continue making. I'm in the same boat for not wanting to make (although I think mine is more linked to just having so much 2018 and 2017 stock left to sell, that what's the point in making more??)
You should do a sale if you have a venue or a website, to get rid of your old stock. I do one the beginning of December and sell out of most of my inventory.

You should do a sale if you have a venue or a website, to get rid of your old stock
Yeah... I did that... still have stock! It will be ok, they're all still good soaps and scents are holding. If I don't make more soap then I don't have to spend more money ?? ;)

I really do not worry about old stock, afterall the bar of soap is so much nicer after a year. If it still retains scent I sell it. In fact I just sold out 2 that I have had for 1.5 yrs and scent was holding.

As for my crochet hats if I ever lose the market for whatever reason, I will quit with the crochet. This is a Kaiser hospital and Doctor offices I sell at, so lots of hats.

We no longer have a website at the moment. It was my daughter's site built by Yahoo and it was very expensive so I am going to try to get it up and running if it is not to late with Yahoo

Back