adding a dose of oil at trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjfan74

Reaction score
Is there a standard amount of oil one can add at trace? Such as 1 oz per pound of soap or something like that? I have not tried doing this yet and would like to do so but can't find the info on amount that is safe to add -
Also, would this just be considered an "additive"? I would not want to increase sodium hydroxide to account for this additional oil because that would just negate the oil...is that correct?

Hi! I am not sure what oil you are referring to but if it is a soaping oil it would be like adding to your superfatting level. You can add more than 1 oz per pound of oils if you wish. If this oil is for a skin benefit the lye solution does not care - it reacts with any and all oils. Again, you are just adding to your superfat level. Now if your oil is a scented oil (EO or FO) yes, you can add it at trace at a maximum of 1 oz per pound of oils. If you label your soap then you will need to list this oil as part of the ingredients.

As Moody Glenn stated adding extra oil at trace will not make much difference as the lye is still active and will take what it wants. However, if you do hot process you can add superfatting oil after cooking. As for EO's and FO's check with your supplier as not all are safe at 1 oz per pound of oils. I use a few FO's that are only safe at 2 percent or so. A lot of EO's are also at lower percentages then FO's.

The rate of 1oz ppo is roughly 6%, so if you are using a base oil, you would be adding considerably to your superfat. You are just as well off to add all of those oils in the beginning, adding at trace doesn't do any good.

If you are adding fragrance oils, no that does not count toward your superfat. If you are using essential oils, 6% is considered WAY too much and should generally be used at a maximum of 3%.

eta: yes, agree w shunt2011, not all fragrance oils are safe at a higher rate, either, so always check.

There has been lot's of debate over adding superfatting oils at trace. You will find lots of books and videos that suggest you can add cerain oils/butters at trace and that they will remain unsaponified. The fact is you CAN add what you like at trace...but since the saponification is only about 10% complete the lye is still VERY active! So, as others have said, you can not control which oils/fats will remain unsaponified simply by waiting till after trace! You may as well add the "superfatting" oils at the beginning. But that's just another one of those things that is totally up to each individual soaper. :) Here's a link to a very informative thread about the topic:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/super-fatting-comprehension-3434/

In my experience the lye takes what it wants, it is much easier to add all the oils together for me..

Back