Addicted but slightly overwhelmed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just made and unmoulded my very first two batches in the last couple of days, a honey and oatmeal soap and a cinnamon and nutmeg. Both seem fine, although I think that might be more luck than judgement! I'm not sure I have judging trace sorted out yet, I use my stick blender and it seems to trace really fast, but on the way, it seems to trace and then thin again when I stir with my whisk to check it before going like thick custard. Anyway, nothing seized up luckily and I have 2 batches curing which, although they're very basic, I'm quite proud of.

I have a question though: is it normal to feel a little bit overwhelmed by how much there is to learn and slightly intimidated by how amazing other people's soaps look compared to my own modest first efforts? There's so much information I'm all wide-eyed and like a sponge, trying to take it all in.

what you are going through - both emotionally and regarding trace - is perfectly normal!!!

(and if you want a laugh I guess I could hunt up some pictures of my first hundred or so batches - but then again, I'm a slow learner so don't let that number intimidate you!

There is sooooo much info out there, and no matter how long youve been soaping, you can always learn more!...

Dont worry about how your soaps look compared to others... youve got to build a solid foundation before you can worry about asthetics and all that stuff...

Also keep in mind that some people dress their photos up more than others (ie staging etc...) this may make the soap look better than it appears in person due to the different colors brought into the photo... so dont feel discouraged! everything is a work in progress! just learn as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can! :)

Yeah, you should see my first batch that I just made on Saturday... My mold was a Ziploc leftover container so one of my "bars" (which are really just huge chunks) says "ZIPLOC" on the bottom of it! :shock: LOL!

I won't be giving that bar as a gift... hehe :D

My first batch was from a milk box which was fine. But my second batch, I decided to use small plastic container about the size of a normal bar of soap bought from supermarket. That was a really disaster!, I was not able to get it out of the container no matter how hard i tried to pry it. Finally, I have to cut open the container and the soap became just a lump of soap instead of a bar of soap!

Congratulations on your first couple of batches.
I have been studying for the last week. I read, Soap Naturally and many articles on the web including this forum. I should have my first delivery of supplies before the weekend and it looks like Sunday will be my first day to attempt making my own soap.
Oh, I did make my own mold today out of wood I bought at the local Lowe's.

I'm a new soaper too! It's so exciting, isn't it?? I've done 4 batches and tried for experience to rebatch one. My 3rd batch accelerated on me but the other 3 were smooth as pie.

I know I have that overwhelmed feeling! Colors, Scents, Curing, oil properties, calculations, to gel or not to gel, safety, suppliers, molds.. ACK... THe more I read and play, the more questions I have. I think what you're feeling is perfectly normal... at least I hope so, cuz I feel that way, lol!

I've decided to back off coloring and just practice a couple of recipes with Scents until I firmly have my arms around that. But all I can think about since I started this is "I want to make more.. when can I make more!!??"

I've been soaping for almost a year now and made many batches and I still feel that I haven't reached a quarter of what there is to know/learn out there. It seems that it is a forever process...new techniques, new recipes with different oils, FOs, colors, textures, designs, ...... whipped soap, M&P, CP, HP, etc. There is so much diversity and so many different varieties that I think no matter how log you've soaped there is still room to learn more! That's what I love about soaping! :D

So, by no means should you feel overwhelmed or that your soaps are any less than anyone elses...we all go through the learning process every time we make soap!

I feel the same, and I haven't even started yet! Tax time is going to supply me some things so when we were in walmart the other day my hubs had to drag me out of the store before i started buying oils with food money lol...It's quite hard to be patient. I did order some lye and fos though so that will have to satisfy me for a bit until I can get the rest!

Latest posts

Back