ACV soap (shampoo bar)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariflo

Reaction score
I made this as a POC batch (second and improved POC) on May 1st and so far it's wonderful! No sign of morphing whatsoever!
I thought I'd let you guys know how it's holding up :) .

100_6965.JPG

I made a small batch of 400g of oils and added 2 egg yolks to the oils before the lye water. I cooked it in the oven (my usual lazy way to make HP soap) and after the cook I added:
- 4 tbsp thick full fat yogurt
- 2 tsp kaolin clay
- 16 capsules x 450 mg ACV powder (from the health food store)
- ess oils of rosemary, spearmint, teatree 1:1:1

It smells fabulous and it works wonders. My hair feels just as it would if I used a vinegar rinse. No vinegar smell, just the lovely essential oils. It feels very creamy and rich.

mari :)

What type of hair do you have Mariflo??
Also, how did the standard recipe without the ACV make your hair feel??
Curious about ACV powder & if it works.

My hair type is normal (not greasy and not dry), long and wavy. I used my regular soap on my hair before coming up with this recipe, but with my plain soap recipe (without AVC powder) I needed to use a vinegar rinse. Now, I don't. After I wash my hair with this formulation my hair is squeaky clean (it really makes that sound when I run my hand through it while still wet after the shower).
The AVC powder in the recipe actually eliminates the need to use an acidic rinse. The soap itself leaves the hair just as a soap + a vinegar rinse would.
I had been using soap + vinegar on my hair before using this AVC soap and I don't think switching from shampoo directly to it would leave the same impression as it did on me. This is something that a person doing a soap + vinegar wash would immediately appreciate more than a person doing shampoo.
In the long run, it reduced the need to wash my hair by about 40-50%. My hair takes almost twice as long to become greasy now compared to when I used regular shampoo.
Also, now I do not use conditioner. When I used shampoo I always had to, because my hair looked tired and thin.
My next try will be to double the AVC powder concentration and see what the result is.
mari :)

Latest posts

Back