Actually Made Soap Today!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a near major boo boo, see we can all goof, I ended up making two batches of my Yin & Yang. I really did not want to make so much as it is not one of my better sellers but I measured all the oils in the bucket added in my eo's then dumped in my aloe and coconut milk. Problem being I forgot to deduct my lye solution from the total liquid so I have double the amount of liquid. :cry: That was my first goof. Second goof came when I was doubling the batch I looked at the wrong column on the soap calc and added wrong amounts of some oils. Fortunetly I new what I missed on, or at least I thought so, added them in mixed the two batches weighed it all and was off 2.5 oz. dang it...I ended up adding in some extra oil and upping the superfat to make up for anymore goofs. I could not scrap this batch with all the avocado oil I had in it. Made with lard, avocado, coconut, shea, rice bran and castor with Anise, orange and grapefruit eo's

fb4b635d-4c86-4405-bead-2aa0b5fddaf6_zps0fae0b7a.jpg

Wow!Your ordeal sounds like an amazing feat of fixing. Bravo! The soap looks beautiful in the mold. Can't wait to see it cut!

No one could tell by looking at them. They are gorgeous!!

Do you mind sharing which orange EO you use? I have a 5x from SMR and it fades after a couple of weeks even with an anchor.

No one could tell by looking at them. They are gorgeous!!

Do you mind sharing which orange EO you use? I have a 5x from SMR and it fades after a couple of weeks even with an anchor.

This was just an orange I wanted to use up. It is Orange Midseason from Natures Garden and my Pink Grapefruit is from WSP. Not sure if the orange will hold, I really added it to lend some extra cleaning factor and soften the anise a touch. I have used a bitter orange that hold quite nice from Liberty Natural. Orange, Lemon & Tangerine are hard to hold in cp

Gorgeous...and no TD crackle...I am soooo envious ;-)

I love the swirl pattern...is it a hanger swirl? Just lovely!

Did you purposely prevent gel, or did it just happen to not gel? I have been known to get partial gel most times that I try to,prevent gel.

I love the swirl...did you move the hanger in a particular pattern? The swirls look much more swirly and free form than when I do a hanger swirl.

Did you purposely prevent gel, or did it just happen to not gel? I have been known to get partial gel most times that I try to,prevent gel.

I love the swirl...did you move the hanger in a particular pattern? The swirls look much more swirly and free form than when I do a hanger swirl.
Nope I did not move it in any particular pattern. Just started on one long edge and really just did an up and down working to the other side. Sorry I am extremely bad at descriptions. My batter was just a slight trace that I alternated pouring the black and white portions. This batch was made with 2:1 water to lye ratio and not full water. Full water will then to heat up faster than water discounted. I actually did not even put this one in the freezer which I normally do since it was cold in my house. LOL, cold by So Calif standards...:razz:. With some fo's I get partial gel even in the freezer, but it really does not bother me. It just makes people wonder how you managed the color difference

Nope I did not move it in any particular pattern. Just started on one long edge and really just did an up and down working to the other side. Sorry I am extremely bad at descriptions. My batter was just a slight trace that I alternated pouring the black and white portions. This batch was made with 2:1 water to lye ratio and not full water. Full water will then to heat up faster than water discounted. I actually did not even put this one in the freezer which I normally do since it was cold in my house. LOL, cold by So Calif standards...:razz:. With some fo's I get partial gel even in the freezer, but it really does not bother me. It just makes people wonder how you managed the color difference

It's gorgeous, and it has me itching to do a hanger swirl tomorrow. Maybe I am not pouring enough layers...how many layers did you pour? I usually have 3, but they look very distinct...I love how yours just seems to swirl into each other. By the way, those of us in the Polar Vortex of middle America would love to be in "cold" So California...LOL :)

Latest posts

Back