Activated Charcoal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it. I mix mine in a little oil, then mix that in with some of my soap batter. I usually only use it when using swirls since if you use too much (just like any other colorant) you'll get black bubbles and some possible washcloth staining.

It's not scratchy at all (i use the bamboo charcoal from BB). Depending on how much you use, it can add the _slightest_ bit of texture to the soap, but it's not rough by any means. I kind of like it, personally.

I make charcoal soap a lot. It gives you a good black, but I found the richest blacks I get are when I use charcoal and black luster mica from BB in the same batch. A little goes a long way tho. :)

I actually find the charcoal gives a kind of clean smell to the soap too, if you don't use any scents. It's one of my most popular bars.

I have used it to color an entire batch or swirling. I would skip it for Black Canyon (or plan to color entire batch) as it discolors pretty bad on it's own.

kharmon320 said:
I have used it to color an entire batch or swirling. I would skip it for Black Canyon (or plan to color entire batch) as it discolors pretty bad on it's own.

Does it go dark brown, I have a bottle too.

Black CAnyon will turn a hideous greenish brown on the outside and the inside will get a strange brown color (also with a green tint but different from the outside). Over time it will cure to an unattractive brown color. But it's a very well-loved scent and people tolerate the color because of its popularity. Putting in a little charcoal to make it black is more attractive than without, to my mind.

newbie said:
Black CAnyon will turn a hideous greenish brown on the outside and the inside will get a strange brown color (also with a green tint but different from the outside). Over time it will cure to an unattractive brown color. But it's a very well-loved scent and people tolerate the color because of its popularity. Putting in a little charcoal to make it black is more attractive than without, to my mind.

Thanks for telling me, I wouldnt want to make a batch of ugly.

Latest posts

Back