Accidental Partial Gel Phase

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnray

Reaction score
I tried making a bar of red wine soap and it gave me a pleasent surprise!

I think it is due to the accidental gel phase. I boil the red wine down to get the alcohol out and then replace water with red wine ice cubes. The oil temp was about 50 deg and the lye solution low 30 range.

Did anyone experience such an incident before?

Attachments

• IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 41
Artemis is right. The "rind" is not from partial gel, which will always have an oval or round shape. This is a color change due, I believe, to exposure to air or water evaporation. The entire outer surface of the bar will turn to the darker rind color in a few days. If you cut a bar in half after a few weeks of curing, you'll see the original lighter color in the center. That area of lighter color will get smaller as the soap ages.

Yes, I've had that rind before and it did not remain. I really thought it looked pretty cool and kind of wish it would stay. It does take some time, and as DeeAnna said, cut in half while still fairly young, the inside remains lighter. But I tend to cure a very long time before use or gifting, so by the time it was in regular use, it was dark throughout.

Latest posts

Back