? about waxes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyScrubs

Reaction score
I was wondering if hurricane wax is the same thing as pariffin wax? Thanks in advance. :wink:

No it's not.

Hurricane wax already has all the necessary ingredients added for you by the manufacturer.It doesn't require you to add anything to it.But imagination.

Paraffin wax 140 MP has nothing added.It's not as hard as the hurricane wax.

They give you the options that allow you to incorporate different additives for many styles of candles.Vybar,Steric acid,Mottling Oil,just to name a few.

Munky.

SoapyScrubs said:
so hurricane wax is harder? Does hurricane wax burn better than other candles when wet?

Yes it's harder.

Hurricane wax is limited as to what you can do with it.It's main purpose is to form a hard shell (Hurricane Candles) that can with stand indirect heat.Direct heat is to be avoided at all costs with hurricane candles.Most embeds are highly flammable.That's why most will come with instructions on how to burn them.Using a votive in a holder,or tealights with a holder.Well I at least make sure instructions are added for every set I sell.

Another use for hurricane wax is the over dip method for tapers.It's the last outer dip of a taper, another lightly applied shell.Keeps them from dripping.The inside is usually made with a softer wax,most likely paraffin.

I'm not really understanding your question about burn time..When wet?

Do you mean if you use the hurricane as a free standing pillar,will it burn just as well as paraffin candles when in use?

No they don't.They do burn a little bit slower,but you would have to play around with the correct wick size. They don't have a great scent throw.They do require more mold release,just to get them out of the mold.Even when making hurricane candles.

Munky.

if you're interested, i believe you can mix "hard" microcrystalline wax with regular paraffin to create a hurricane-like wax. i can't remember the proportions off hand but if you wish to know, say so and I'll track down the numbers again.

Back