A variation on pumpkin soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskat22

Reaction score
I know you can use pumpkin puree in CP (and HP) and it's best to just sub part of the water and freeze it. I was wondering though if you might be able to use pumpkin pie filling? I did ask this somewhere else it was suggested that the spices in the pie filling might be an irritant, but wouldn't it be similar to using EO's? Or rather, less irritating since it'll be processed so many times AND go through saponification? I'm thinking the sugars added to it would help boost bubbles, and then I'd have a nice bubbly soap that smells like pie. Has anyone tried this?

The colour might stick but not sure about the scent though. The lye monster doesn't discriminate unless you do hot process. You could always try a small batch and see if it works though.

If you try it, do tell us your results.

I've thought about it as I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie mix is on sale since it is summer time, and it sounds like a neat idea. I was thinking to soap cool. To sub part of the water for the pumpkin mix, but add the pumpkin mix in at light trace, not into the lye mixture itself. I dunno'. Think I remember a video using pumpkin puree. I'll look for it and post if I find it. Don't know if it was pumpkin pie mix though. BRB.

ETA: Here is the video, the puree goes in with the oils. There are more suggestions on the side for pumpkin soap, but I can't hear anything at work, so, hope one of them helps.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnrETAWta-M[/ame]

Last edited:
I made a pumpkin soap last year for the holidays and scented it with pumpkin pie F/O. Big hit. More just for the "OMG this is made with pumpkin?" There is one in a can I think that is only pumpkin no spice added. Use that. I think I subbed part of the milk for the puree (cant remember right now). I do not think that I froze it but it might be a good idea to do so.

I made some recently because I had some left over pumpkin. I actually used much more than I planned. I used an Autumn Harvest FO in it. I haven't tried it yet, still curing, but it smells yummy. I don't have enough trays and places to put every bar of soap in the shower like I want to. So I wait until they are cured and there is room in the shower.

What purpose are you looking for with putting pumkin in soap? It has no benifit when applied to skin so why add it too soap?

I've been making pumpkin soap for years, it's one of my favorites! I've read that "Pumpkin is full of antioxidants and vitamins A and C which can help keep your skin youthful and refreshed!" It's one of Crunchy Bettys favorite fruits/vegetables to put on your face. :smile:
http://www.crunchybetty.com/slip-it-in-for-beautiful-skin-rub-that-fruit-on-your-face

But...Krystal, to get a nice pumpkin pie scent you'll have to also add a nice fo, because the yummy fragrance won't make it through. :-(

I was afraid of that Debra! Also, there is some debate on if the vitamins and such are retained after saponification, I like to think they are, otherwise why spend the time making milk soaps and veggie soaps? I wouldn't be 'planning' on the benefits, but it would be a nice side effect of using the pumpkin. I saw some done and it comes out a pretty neat natural brownish/orange colour, and like I said I was hoping the spice smell would come through. I think I'll do a small batch au natural and see how that turns out before doing something big. Hopefully some of the spice smell will come through!

I was afraid of that Debra! Also, there is some debate on if the vitamins and such are retained after saponification, I like to think they are, otherwise why spend the time making milk soaps and veggie soaps? I wouldn't be 'planning' on the benefits, but it would be a nice side effect of using the pumpkin. I saw some done and it comes out a pretty neat natural brownish/orange colour, and like I said I was hoping the spice smell would come through. I think I'll do a small batch au natural and see how that turns out before doing something big. Hopefully some of the spice smell will come through!

Can't wait to see how it turns out and don't forget pics!

how much pumpkin puree do you add, and how much water do you discount? I have a can of pumpkin waiting to be made into soap with some Apple/Pumpkin Strudel FO! It's going to discolor anyway, so I am not worried if the actual pumpkin puree turns brown.

Back