A question about Trace....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandiesnap

Reaction score
I'm a newbie who has made 7 small batches of soap with a pretty good success rate. I'm interested in having a better understanding of trace. So far I have got as far as what I think is a light-medium trace, but nothing that I could create a nice top with. Is there a basic recipe that is great for a getting to a thick trace quickly? Is that even a thing?

I'd like to get to a thicker consistency so I can shape the top or add a pattern using a spoon etc. Maybe I am not stick blending/ stirring long enough.
When I want to spoon-texture my top, I often just set it aside and check it for the right consistency. If you're doing a swirl on the inside, that's have you'll have to do-- the right trace for swirls isn't necessarily right for the spoon top. If you're only doing one color, or a layer, then just keep stick blending until you have a nice thick pudding. Even at that point, though, I still sometimes have to wait to make a nice "fluffy" top.

Last edited:
It would just be stickblending it more or soaping at a bit higher temp. Or, just let it sit for a bit then texture the top.
What temp do you consider higher?

When I want to spoon-texture my top, I often just set it aside and check it for the right consistency. If you're doing a swirl on the inside, that's have you'll have to do-- the right trace fo swirls isn't necessarily right for the spoon top. If you're only doing one color, or a layer, then just keep stick blending until you have a nice thick pudding. Even at that point, though, I still sometimes have to wait to make a nice "fluffy" top.
Not ready for swirls yet :) So I could leave it in my pot and check back every 5 mins or so. Would I need to continue blending?

What temp do you consider higher?

Not ready for swirls yet :) So I could leave it in my pot and check back every 5 mins or so. Would I need to continue blending?

Warmer than you are currently soaping. I don't soap with a thermometer. Sorry. Personally, I would just stickblend to where you want it or leave it sit a bit.

I pour at emulsion or light trace, otherwise I find I get bubbles. Then I just wait, usually 10-15 minutes, until it firms up enough to make a pattern on the top

Back