A question about Coconut Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawneelynn

Reaction score
As I'm looking at all the different types of Coconut oil my local grocery store sells, I notice that there are different "kinds." I already have some Virgin organic, but I was wondering if the cheaper varieties would work in soap making as well, like the kind that you cook with?

There are different kinds, but so long as they are 100% coconut oil, you can soap with them. There are different SAP values for different varieties (76, 92, fractionated), so just make sure to put the correct one in your lye calculator.

There is no accepted qualification for "virgin organic", so saving some money and buying from a soap supply place is probably your best bet.

When I made some soap with what my wife had for cooking, I used the values for 76 degree and it worked out fine.

Thanks :) I'm still in the research phase of things, haven't even done anything yet, even M&P. DH doesn't really want me doing it, bc of the lye, but I'm assuming M&P is safer?

Regular grocery store Luana brand coconut oil works great in soap.

The SAP values for 76 and 92 degree coconut oil are the same, fractionated CO (which is clear and completely liquid) is different.

Thanks :) I'm still in the research phase of things, haven't even done anything yet, even M&P. DH doesn't really want me doing it, bc of the lye, but I'm assuming M&P is safer?
You could get just as nasty a burn with M&P out of the microwave as you can from lye. Whether your burn comes form chemicals or heat is really academic while you are in pain.

Reasonable precautions I think are needed (for either). If he needs you to use a gateway drug (M&P) then do what ya gotta do to get there. :)

My grocery stores only sell the 76 degree kind. Different brands and types, but they all melt at 76 degrees.

MP would be "safer" if you have kids and pets that could cause problems. If you don't have a safe time and place to soap, then MP is what I would do.

However, with appropriate caution and good practices, making CP is not going to be a huge risk. But, you have to have a time and place without kids and pets getting into what you are doing. And you have to have proper safety equipment. You also MUST learn to use a lye calculator, and have a good digital scale that you have verified is weighing correctly.

I have a feeling, though, that you already have the making soap addiction, and you are going to want to try all methods.

You could get just as nasty a burn with M&P out of the microwave as you can from lye. Whether your burn comes form chemicals or heat is really academic while you are in pain.

Reasonable precautions I think are needed (for either). If he needs you to use a gateway drug (M&P) then do what ya gotta do to get there. :)

I see you are thinking she is addicted also, LOL!

Coconut oil is what movie theaters use to pop popcorn. I got some popcorn oil at a Cash And Carry once to soap with. It worked fine - except it had been dyed with Beta Carotene, so all of my soap was the color of cheddar cheese. (Which, btw, is also dyed with Beta Carotene). I think it also had some salt added? It worked fine.

When starting out, good cheap 100% coconut oil for cooking is a good place to start. The two cheapest I've found is the jars from Trader Joes, or the LouAnna brand from Ralphs, but I've heard Wallmart is probably cheaper.

Latest posts

Back