A pool of liquid in the center

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if this is going to be okay?

I made this soap yesterday, poured it, it did a partial gel, but aside from that, I checked on it, this morning, and there are a couple pools of liquid in the middle. It doesn't look like gelling to me and doesn't feel like it.

Can you help me?

image.jpg

You know. I think it may just be remnants of the gel. It seems to be drying up. It just looked so odd to me.

Sometimes when oils seperate from fresh soap they will absorb back into it, if given time. But what would worry me about this batch is the dark circle that this "pool" is in the center of. I don't know what others will suggest, but I'd give it time to re-absorb, see what you get into when you cut it, and check to see if it zaps. Is it setting up good except for the spot of liquid, because it sort of looks like the dark center is still rather "fluid"...?

Sometimes when oils seperate from fresh soap they will absorb back into it, if given time. But what would worry me about this batch is the dark circle that this "pool" is in the center of. I don't know what others will suggest, but I'd give it time to re-absorb, see what you get into when you cut it, and check to see if it zaps. Is it setting up good except for the spot of liquid, because it sort of looks like the dark center is still rather "fluid"...?

I agree. Try the zap test to be sure. Be very careful!! Most of your soap did gel but that center area worries me. It is possible the center area got too hot and some lye solution did not react with the oils. I had this happen with fragrance oils such as cinnamon which caused the soap batter to become overheated in the mold. The center area was a pool of liquid and did a quick zap test. Yikes! Did that burn! I wrapped up the soap block in several bags and discarded it. I don't bother trying to rebatch when this happens.

I hope it doesn't zap for you. Otherwise, I believe it should be OK.

I agree with the others. It looks suspect to me. Make sure you zap test it in that spot and on each cut bar.

So how did it look upon cutting?

If there were wet pockets throughout, then probably it overheated. It could be rescued by rebatching, provided that you saved all of the soap, including any oozy bits.

Oh, and wearing gloves while cutting suspect soap is always a good idea!

Thanks guys. I did zap test it. I checked every bar, and also the little spot where the "pool" was. I got no big zaps. But, I did have a small lingering zappy taste after one random bar. I'm wondering if there is any chance of that dissipating in another day, though. Everything else seems to be fine enough. My best bar cutting job I've ever done. I would be so sad if I have to scrap this one. I did overuse the oxide a bit. I'm still learning on that part. Otherwise, it's a tested recipe, my best. The scent is Bergamot EO. And I don't usually gel my soaps, but decided to do so, this time. My silicone mold just can't seem to hold a lot of heat, even when wrapping it. I could throw them in the oven next time. I really want a loaf mold SO bad. One of these days. I'll get you a picture of my bar that I took earlier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back