A New Recipe for 9 Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working on a new recipe for 9 bars based on my 40 bar recipe. Below is what I have come up with, but I need to get rid of 330 grams. I can't decide where to cut.

I have the lard at 454 grams because that is the size it comes in from the supermarket and I didn't want to deal with any leftover.

I'm looking especially at the coconut oil and the olive and canola for cutting. DeeAnna suggested to me that the coconut might be a little high. Or should I just cut the lard?

Can I impose on you for some suggestions?

_____________%______Grams
1 Olive Oil ____ 14.18 ____ 200.00
2 Canola Oil ___ 14.18 ____ 200.00
3 Palm Oil ____ 5.46 _____ 77.00
4 Coconut Oil __ 21.70 ___ 306.00
5 Shea Butter __ 4.40 _____ 62.00
6 Beeswax ____ 1.77 ______ 25.00
7 Lard ______ 32.20 _____ 454.00
8 Castor Oil ___ 6.10 ______ 86.00

I will be superfatting at 5%.

I am working on a new recipe for 9 bars based on my 40 bar recipe. Below is what I have come up with, but I need to get rid of 330 grams. I can't decide where to cut.

I have the lard at 454 grams because that is the size it comes in from the supermarket and I didn't want to deal with any leftover.

I'm looking especially at the coconut oil and the olive and canola for cutting. DeeAnna suggested to me that the coconut might be a little high. Or should I just cut the lard?

Can I impose on you for some suggestions?

_____________%______Grams
1 Olive Oil ____ 14.18 ____ 200.00
2 Canola Oil ___ 14.18 ____ 200.00
3 Palm Oil ____ 5.46 _____ 77.00
4 Coconut Oil __ 21.70 ___ 306.00
5 Shea Butter __ 4.40 _____ 62.00
6 Beeswax ____ 1.77 ______ 25.00
7 Lard ______ 32.20 _____ 454.00
8 Castor Oil ___ 6.10 ______ 86.00

I will be superfatting at 5%.
Hmmm.. I'd completely cut the canola, since I already have other conditioning and/or soft oils.

I'd also completely cut palm but only because I'm used to recipes without it haha. Lard at 32% with shea, without or without the beeswax should be a hard enough soap.

Lastly, I'm one who rarely uses coconut oil in the 20s. I'm usually in the 15-18% range.

Is that enough to cut? Hehehe if not you will probably need to deal with leftover lard, unless you cut out olive oil as well.

"I have the lard at 454 grams because that is the size it comes in from the supermarket and I didn't want to deal with any leftover."

That's why he doesn't just resize.

I get it - I've started slowly resizing recipes to fit the number of labels on a page. My lip balm label is 24 per page. So I'm making 24 or 48 tube batches, vs 50 or 60.

According to Nurture soap, 9 bars is 31.5 oz of oils. 31 oz = 878 grams. It's a touch off - 448 grams of lard instead of 454. That's not enough to make a difference - just scoop in the whole container.

upload_2019-10-30_9-40-24.png

According to Nurture soap, 9 bars is 31.5 oz of oils

I use 31 ounces and get 8 full bars but wouldn't it matter what size mold you are using? I use the silicone molds from Nurture and the size they are I only get 8 full bars--but if I made a solid colored bar I could probably get close to 9 bars with no end pieces but with swirling ya just about need to take an end piece

Yes, the mold size would matter. I used this to show John Harris the process I was using, and I figure he could tweak the process to his preference.

I think it also depends on your cutter. We may be talking about the same sized mold but if my bars are 1" wide and yours are 1 and 1/8" wide, then I'd get 9 and you'd get 8 from the same mold.

my bars are 1" wide and yours are 1 and 1/8" wide, then I'd get 9 and you'd get 8 from the same mold.

true but mine are exactly 1" and I use a wire cutter too--I would think we are talking about the same mold. I "glued" 2 end pieces together the other day and just went and measured the bar and it is 1" so without cutting ends I would get 9 1" bars
sorry--I understand you were just showing John and I am not trying to be snarky at all, just commenting on what I am seeing on my end. I think it would be nice if the mold itself was even just 1/8" bigger--there would be less waste

No problem! This is the mold I'm using:
https://nurturesoap.com/collections/soap-molds/products/7-5-pound-triple-premium-mold

The description:
Each cavity of our 7.5 pound triple premium soap mold holds 31.5 ounces (1.96 pounds) of oils maximum. Each cavity will hold approximately 2.5 pounds of finished soap for a total of approximately 7.5 pounds of soap weight when all three cavities are used. This mold will make 27 1" bars of soap. (It has 3 cavities, so 9 bars per cavity.)

Measurements of liner:
ID of Liner 9" L x 3.5" W x 2.5" H

If I read what you said right, you basically have .5" of waste on each side? I assume your cutter doesn't allow you to move your log to get 9 bars vs 8?

Or is that .5 on each size something you are trimming off b/c of mushed corners? If that's the case, try soaping with vinegar. I am so pleased with how sharp the corners of my soap in silicone molds turn out thanks to vinegar.

Or is that .5 on each size something you are trimming off b/c of mushed corners?

no not mushed corners--I guess I have been trimming the ends off cuz they don't look as nice as the cut bar (they are kind of muted looking)---my swirls aren't very nice on the ends. so I must be doing something wrong

Try using a silicone spatula to smush some of the colored soap against the end of the log. I'm giving mine as gifts vs selling, so people better be happy to get whatever I give them!

Usually I mix up "good bars" - good corners, good swirl, good top - with "bad bars" - mishappen, blah color.

Latest posts

Back