A drying suspect

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basia

Reaction score
I have made the following recipe before and never had a problem with it, and in fact turned out be nice and creamy. However, with this last batch, when I used the soap my skin felt dry and little iritated.

This is the base recipe:
coconut oil 18.33% 11oz
olive oil 33.33% 20oz
palm oil 20% 12oz
castor oil 8.33% 5oz
cocoa butter 10% 6oz
shea butter 10% 6oz.

water amount 561 grams
lye 226 grams

at 8% superfat
water % 33%

What was different about this batch was the following additives:

2oz of wild honeysuckle FO 250
A little more than 1/2 tsp of TD per 20 oz of soap
1\2tsp of yellow oxide per 20 oz, few drops neon orange glycerine dispersed per 20oz, and 3 tsp of sodium lactate.

My question is if any of above could make my soap drying?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Basia :wave:

Have you always added the TD and oxides?

If so, maybe your skin is changing, it happens, and it happens quickly. You may have to change your recipes, or test individual ingredients. I keep coconut oil low, palm low, and no matter what cocoa butter and mango butter are drying to my skin now. I have to leave them out.

I can't do the Trinity Balance of oils of olive, coconut, and palm in the usual amounts. I really lower the last two (coconut and palm) and use shea and/or other nut butters that do not dry my skin. I have been adding a bit of sugar for the bubbles that will not happen without a lot of coconut. Have not tried Babasu yet which is said to be similar to coconut.

Latest posts

Back