A couple question for Aussie soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ops ... sorry Tracey ... me bad ... didn't read your post properly!

I'm planning to order 5 kg of CO from Escentials. They have 10% discount at the moment ... but add $8 for buying less than $75 ... but I'll just have to take that.

I buy my Pearl caustic soda from a local farmer's supply store here in Queensland, but Pearl is a brand that is fairly well known all over Australia if you go asking for it buy name.
I suggest that you try farmer's supply stores or cleaning product outlets, but they only sell in in 20 Kg bags, not smaller lots.

Whenever I get a new bag of it I put it into a couple of big buckets that have airtight lids on them so it doesn't spoil in anyway.

For those of you in Australia I think Escentials in Qld sell Pearl caustic soda too, but I'm not quite sure to be honest, but if not I know they sell another brand just as good because a couple of soaping friends buy theirs from there

I'm sorry if I can't help anyone more with where to buy Pearl Caustic from but I just don't know any more than that.

Best regards
Beatty

I'm probably already using it then Beatty. As I buy mine from escentials.
Another Queenslander here!!

Nat, package your soap up and send it back to escentials with a note,they'd get a shock when they opened it.

All you girls that have had trouble with their FO's seizing etc. why don't you write them a letter and then they'll get the hint that something is wrong with the oils if they get a lot of angry mail. :x

I think you are right Relle, I will send them a email explaining what the probs with thier FO's are , they may not even be aware that there is a problem!!

Wait till you see what happened to my last batch that gelled inside after coming out of the freezer :shock: I was expecting it to be a darker pinkish, but it went dark grey! I'm getting some pics up a bit later to see if anyone knows Kitten Love happened.

To be fair,the only thing Ive ever had a problem with quality wise from Escentials is the FO.Absolutely everything else is top notch & their prices are great.Always the first port of call for me,I get most of my soap & cosmetic/B&B ingredients there(& freight is only $9 to where Im at which is a lovely added bonus!) I'm sure that if you let Max know there's a problem he'll take that onboard. Personally I really don't expect a lot from FO's that're as cheap as those ones are. And they DO work fine in everything other than CP.

IMO,paying a bit more for quality FO's may cost a little more upfront but the usage rates are usually much lower so it's really not more exxy in the long run. With Brambleberry & Sweetcakes,and most of BigTree's FO's I don't go over 3%,some as low as 1.5 whereas with cheaper ones it's sometimes been closer to 6%( tho I dont even bother anymore...if I need to go above 4% I choose something else.)

Relle9 said:
All you girls that have had trouble with their FO's seizing etc. why don't you write them a letter and then they'll get the hint that something is wrong with the oils if they get a lot of angry mail. :x

gekko62 said:
To be fair,the only thing Ive ever had a problem with quality wise from Escentials is the FO.Absolutely everything else is top notch & their prices are great.Always the first port of call for me,I get most of my soap & cosmetic/B&B ingredients there(& freight is only $9 to where Im at which is a lovely added bonus!) I'm sure that if you let Max know there's a problem he'll take that onboard. Personally I really don't expect a lot from FO's that're as cheap as those ones are. And they DO work fine in everything other than CP.

IMO,paying a bit more for quality FO's may cost a little more upfront but the usage rates are usually much lower so it's really not more exxy in the long run. With Brambleberry & Sweetcakes,and most of BigTree's FO's I don't go over 3%,some as low as 1.5 whereas with cheaper ones it's sometimes been closer to 6%( tho I dont even bother anymore...if I need to go above 4% I choose something else.)

quote]

I've never had any real problems with anything I buy from Max and the odd occasion I have had something small happen he has sorted it out in no time at all.
I don't use FOs so I can't comment on them

I'm definitely not bagging Escentials. They r my most favourite place ever!! I'm always raving about them as you would know... :oops: :oops:

FO are new to me. I should know better than to buy cheap :lol: & thats all they r really. You pay for what you get. I don't think they r soap stable.
I've been an EO girl pretty much the entire way with my soaping. Its something I've only just branched out to. Escentials EO are excellently priced and I've had not a single drama with them to date.
In fact averything they sell is exceptionally priced. I'm lucky to live closeby to them.

Ok ....I sent Max an email, It was polite and to the point but I did emphasise I wasnt complaining about all of Essentials , as there service has always been great and their prices good too....but I told him I just wanted him to know there was a problem with their FO's in CP soap, incase it has never been mentioned B4 ....I will keep u informed if I get a reply.

Great to know Trace, at least if there is a problem from the source of these I hope they can rectify it - your right, if they don't know they can't fix it.

It's good you did that Tracey, as he may not be aware there is a problem. I didn't buy any of their FO's, due to there being no information about how they acted in CP. Instead I buy my FO's from other sites that give this information.

I have just checked out the Big Tree Supplies website ... it has a huge list of FO's, with comments about how they act in CP. Gekko are there some FO's you wouldn't recommend?

Anyone know where I can get activated charcoal here ? - tried all the usual suppliers and they don't have it.

Relle9 said:
Anyone know where I can get activated charcoal here ? - tried all the usual suppliers and they don't have it.

I found a couple places online but by the time postage factored in it was cheaper from the Healthfood shop. I got a 100g container of powder which is an awful lot of the stuff...the container is like the one you get 200 fish oil caps in & its 2/3 full.

[quote="Dragonkaz"

I have just checked out the Big Tree Supplies website ... it has a huge list of FO's, with comments about how they act in CP. Gekko are there some FO's you wouldn't recommend?[/quote]

LOL dont ask me,Ive become quite the fo ho! Started out a commited eo girl but now Im using more fo than anything. Ive never had a prob with any from ASS,H'loom or BTS.

Relle9 said:

Try a pet store that sells fish tank supplies as they need it for their filters, and another source is one of the many home beer and wine making supply stores as they also use it to filter wines, and they are most probably the cheaper source to buy it from.

Thanks Lyn, boy is that stuff dear, might re assess at $45.

Gekko, thats an option, just wasn't sure where to look for the stuff to put some in soap. Seems in comes in huge lots.

Beatty, is the fish tank charcoal alright to use in soap or does it have to be cosmetic grade. We had a tank, might have some lying around here. :shock:

Just saw some soap on line with it in and thought I'd like to make some with it in.

I grabbed activated carbon for filters in tanks, so far google tells me that it is the same as activated charcoal. But it is hard to grind up so I'm looking for a better source. I remember years ago the softer activated charcoal but haven't found any so far. $45 is pretty horrendous for 500 gms!

Thanks for the info, not looking forward to grinding if its hard, I'll have a look at the health food, its in Westfield, so it won't be cheap. :?

Back