A couple question for Aussie soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my activated charcoal from the chemist, next to the constipation meds, its used for flactuation(spell??)(gas). Was about $14 for 50 caplets.
I wouldn't fancy grinding it up though, its really messy & really black!!! Someone on here warned about wrecking a grinder & never being able to use it again.
Gekko - Ha!! I wonder if I'll eventually turn to FO completely too. I really do love my EO's though. The only reason I started using a few FO's of late is to anchor a few citrus oils. But I find myself suddenly dreaming of cotton candy & caramel & cookies.....and berries!! :lol: :lol:

Relle9 said:
Thanks Lyn, boy is that stuff dear, might re assess at $45.

Gekko, thats an option, just wasn't sure where to look for the stuff to put some in soap. Seems in comes in huge lots.

Beatty, is the fish tank charcoal alright to use in soap or does it have to be cosmetic grade. We had a tank, might have some lying around here. :shock:

Just saw some soap on line with it in and thought I'd like to make some with it in.

This link will take you to an Ebay store in Australia that sells activated charcoal granules at 1Kg for $5.00 plus $10.00 postage Relle .... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GAC-Activated-Ca ... dZViewItem

If the link doesn't work go to Ebay Aus and search for this supplier 'h2oshop4u because that's the seller of the item the link is for.

Beatty said:
Relle9 said:
Thanks Lyn, boy is that stuff dear, might re assess at $45.

Gekko, thats an option, just wasn't sure where to look for the stuff to put some in soap. Seems in comes in huge lots.

Beatty, is the fish tank charcoal alright to use in soap or does it have to be cosmetic grade. We had a tank, might have some lying around here. :shock:

Just saw some soap on line with it in and thought I'd like to make some with it in.

This link will take you to an Ebay store in Australia that sells activated charcoal granules at 1Kg for $5.00 plus $10.00 postage Relle .... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GAC-Activated-Ca ... dZViewItem

If the link doesn't work go to Ebay Aus and search for this supplier 'h2oshop4u because that's the seller of the item the link is for.

I just checked the link and it takes you straight to it.

To crush the granules into powder try a mortar and pestel or use a steel headed hammer on some in a thick plastic bag lying on concrete with a thin tea towel folded over it
That suggestion is from my grandson who is sitting here with me now so please don't blame me :D

And yes, it is the same thing as the cosmetic grade, there is no difference

Thanks for sharing that link Lyn.
Some of those powdered herbs look fabulous.

gekko62 said:
LOL dont ask me,Ive become quite the fo ho! Started out a commited eo girl but now Im using more fo than anything. Ive never had a prob with any from ASS,H'loom or BTS.
I totally understand ... I only soaped with EO's for so long and considered myself an 'EO snob' ... then I found this forum and saw many beautiful soaps and read about their amazing FO smells ... and things have continued to change for me since then! Now I'm always wanting to try new FO's ... just wish I was 'made of money' ... and had more hours, or long weekends!

Thanks for the info Nat and Beatty, postage on the ebay item is twice the cost of the product. :shock:

Nat, I might ry the constipation isle in the chemist :lol: or the aquarium :lol: Two totally different places for the same thing. :wink:

I bought australian black clay from new directions which is almost same as activated charcoal, just in case anyone is interested in trying it :wink:

Ok I just asked about the charcoal on a Guinea Pig forum that I am on ( we use it for bloat or poisionings ) you can buy it from the chemist in either tablet ( which u crush or in capsule which u pull apart and its already crushed inside ....I dont know the price tho ....hope this helps

I wanted the charcoal for the cleansing part not colour, I've got black oxide for colour.

Trace, I haven't been in the chemist yet. I'm off to the gym now so will call in on the way back.

Whats a pine tar log ?

OK, so activated charcoal tabs or caps at chemist are - 60 caps for $11.95.

BTW - FO's at New Directions are NOT recommended for soap as they split the mix. I asked why and she didn't know. Thought I'd let you know in case you were buying from there. They're not very helpful in that place.

Relle9 said:
BTW - FO's at New Directions are NOT recommended for soap as they split the mix. I asked why and she didn't know. Thought I'd let you know in case you were buying from there. They're not very helpful in that place.

I'd say this is the same for Escentials standard FO's too. Its exactly whats been happenig for me. The soap seperates. Not to say they 'can't' be used but aren't recommended is probably how it works.

Charcoal - the ones I got from the chemist are caplets & I split them open to get the charcoal out.

I picked up a bakery cooling rack today that I won on Ebay. Just finished organising all my soap...... soaping heaven.... a massive rack to cure & store my soap!!

Traceyann said:
Ok I just asked about the charcoal on a Guinea Pig forum that I am on ( we use it for bloat or poisionings ) you can buy it from the chemist in either tablet ( which u crush or in capsule which u pull apart and its already crushed inside ....I dont know the price tho ....hope this helps

Oh yeah, I forgot that I had some in the cupboard for the guinea pigs and for my bunny. :wink:

year I did Relle, Max asked what temp I soaped at , so I told him 45 - 50dg, but when the first batch seized I soaped cooler......but I havent heard back after that.....I also told him that it wasnt just me , that others I have spoken to are havbing the same problem.....so I will wait to see if I get another reply .

From Escentials site:

Our Soap Fragrances have been manufactured with a solvent optimized for soap making; they are designed to remain stable in high PH environments, according to the manufacturer. Unfortunately though we are unable to make any guarantees about the outcomes of either this or any other soapmaking endeavours - our own endeavours were mostly failures so we decided to stop trying to make soap and just sell good quality ingredients.

Back