A couple question for Aussie soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends just call me Relle, you can leave the 9 out. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's a costing -

Escentuals Heirloom New Directions
CO - 5 litres $25 $30 $47.30
Palm-5 litres $20 $18 $38.50
Total $45 $48 $85.80

Big difference in price ladies.
New Directions are way to expensive, think you pay for all the glossy brochures etc.

I buy my castor oil from Auroma in Hallam (Vic), theirs is $12 for 1 lt, and I'm close enough to pick it up so I have no postage costs. Not sure what their postage is like, but they often have ods & ends (oils, EO's etc) really cheap on a clearance table in-store. The quality of their products is great, but service-wise I find them to be a little, ummmm...stuck-up :oops: Sorry, I hate saying negative things, but heaven forbid if you are not an expert on all things oils & fragrances...they don't like answering questions and tend to look at you as though you're an ugly little insect if you try. But their products are great and they have a lovely range, so I just go in, grab what I need and get out...then I browse this forum to have my questions answered! :wink:

I buy alot of stuff from ASS & Heirloom, and my most recent package from ASS contained some free samples of an EO blend & a pop mica! So I was very pleased :D

cinta said:
$66 for 20lt?! That's great! Where do you get that from?

It's $66 from Escentials but being in Melbourne we have to pay postage. It's not too bad if you get a decent order together. Last time I paid around $40 for delivery and that was for 1 x 20litre drum and a big box of other stuff.

Delivery/postage is a killer isn't it. This is why I won't buy from WA much. A small box costs me nearly $20 every time. I just can't justify it.
I get a friend to pick up for me from escentials. There isn't much they don't stock so its convenient.

Can anyone reccomend a good cotton candy FO to me. Or something similair. Not fruity but rather fairy flossy IYKWIM. ?????

MizzBee said:
Thank you Sandyfootfarmer :)
Yep I get my castor oil from Aussie Soap Supplies, I'm waiting to hear from a supplier in Wingfield in S.A, they sell castor oil cosmetic grade in bulk. Will post it up when I hear from them.
MizzBee would you please let us know, on this thread, when you hear from the supplier in Wingfield.

Have decided that I'll put in an order to Escentials for castor oil. Has anyone used any of the FO's that they sell? I've bought EO's from them before, and they're ok.

Kaz, Trace just soaped with some of escentuals FO's and all of them seized on her (4 of them I think ), I've never bought from them before so don't really know.

For those of you buying olive oil at Coles or Woolies - here are the prices at Aldi - Pure Olive Oil 4 litres $15.99
- EVOO 4 litres $17.99.

Kaz I have had some success with some of their FO's but sadly the last 4 that I have tried seized almost instantly on me , and I soaped cooler than normal just in case

Relle9 said:
Kaz, Trace just soaped with some of escentuals FO's and all of them seized on her (4 of them I think ), I've never bought from them before so don't really know.

For those of you buying olive oil at Coles or Woolies - here are the prices at Aldi - Pure Olive Oil 4 litres $15.99
- EVOO 4 litres $17.99.

I buy the 3 litre Australian EVOO at Aldi for $20.

I bought a few sample FOs from Escential but have only used a couple I think. The only one that stands out at the moment is the Aniseed one which smells just like Aniseed and behaves well. I didn't like the smell of the soap after a few months though but that's standard for me. Sensitive nose - good for telling a dupe perfume from the original one, bad for picking up dog poo. :roll:

Oh dear...escentials FO's are utter shite in cp! Shame,because the vast majority of their stuff is great. The FO's work well in B&B stuff,just not cp. :(

I've used a few FO's from the Natural Candle Supply (Sweet Cakes) and so far they've been great. I've also used a few FO's from Aussie Supplies (BB) ... and they behaved well also.

The thing I didn't like about Escentials, was they didn't give any extra info about how the FO's worked in CP etc.
Anyone interested in a Aussie soap swap???????
Definitely!

At what rate do you use the sweetcakes??? Some are $13/$14 for 100mls plus postage...ouch.
5% ??????

Soapswap...Fun!!
When I get a minute I'll start a thread so its seperate from here.
We'd need at least 5 people to make it worhtwhile I'd say but I doubt we'll have trouble getting that together.
I'm happy to organise it.

I've put up a separate post in the Shopping Recommendations for all of this so its easier to find if you want to join in. That way we can add to it and find any info before we have to order.

I bought Aniseed EO from NCS at $4.88 for 30mls, I used half of it and it smells quite strong, but its early days yet. I think you'd be better off price wise with there FO's more than the sweetcake ones.

Jenny, just checked on the Aldi site, they have a 3 and a 4 litre EVOO.

I've done swaps before on a primitive craft forum and was a swap mamma on one swap.

What we did was everyone put their name down who wanted to be in it and we worked out a theme and a cut off date for them to be done.Say there were 8 in the swap,you'd make 8 soaps, keep 1 and post 7 to the swap mamma with a postage paid envelope with it, then when all the swaps had been received the swap mamma would put one of each soap in the bag and send back to the recipient.The approximate weight of the parcel would have to be worked out in advance so the prepaid could be included in the parcel. If you need me I can work out the details.

Just thinking out loud.

Had a quick look on Aus Post
Prepaid - 500g is $6.30
- 3 kg is $10.70 only two sizes.
To post a parcel - 500g - 1 kg is $8.00.

5 in a swap would be about 750 grams if they were 150 grams each soap.

Relle.

Back