1st SMF Soap Challenge- July

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the weird thing, Janzo, I used a slow tracing mix - 65% lard, 15% coconut, 13% olive, 7% castor, which is the same mix I used in the previous challenge attempt, which was fine. Also the same colors, I am trying to keep everything else the same and just change the swirl techniques so I can really tell the difference in the results w/those.

Also used an FO that I have used before w/o problems, WSP's Fresh Bamboo. Just a totally different result. To test that I wasn't going insane I used the FO in a salt bar after doing the batch above, and it was fine. Even w/80% CO, 50% salt, full coconut milk and sugar; it traced fast but I still had time to do a two color swirl and get it into the mold without incident. Just goes to show that the darn soap has a mind of its own.

As for all of you would-be challengers to my ugly soap throne, bring it on. Viv, I don't think you could make an ugly soap if you tried, your hands would just take over and go into auto-correct mode.

Last edited:
That is the weird thing, Janzo, I used a slow tracing mix - 65% lard, 15% coconut, 13% olive, 7% castor, which is the same mix I used in the previous challenge attempt, which was fine. Also the same colors, I am trying to keep everything else the same and just change the swirl techniques so I can really tell the difference in the results w/those.

Also used an FO that I have used before w/o problems, WSP's Fresh Bamboo. Just a totally different result. To test that I wasn't going insane I used the FO in a salt bar after doing the batch above, and it was fine. Even w/80% CO and 50% salt; it traced fast but I still had time to do a two color swirl and get it into the mold without incident. Just goes to show that the darn soap has a mind of its own.

As for all of you would-be challengers to my ugly soap throne, bring it on. Viv, I don't think you could make an ugly soap if you tried, your hands would just take over and go into auto-correct mode.

Just got caught up with the whole thread, but B, I must tell you, you got some serious competition in me. I don't have a comb yet so I may not be breaking one in this challange but the rest, just wait and see. Aaaaand, it's going to be a wait! I hope to find all my soaping supplies in a truck load of boxes before the deadline, and still have enough time for however many attempts it's gonna take.

Oh my NA! Thats one heck of a strong soap batter to break your combing tool! Pretty funny. Reminds me of the ebru challenge when I ended up having to use my hand as my tool. Good times... I plan on trying a soap this weekend. I have some thoughts of how I want it to turn out. Now I just have to see if its possible/ be more realistic.

You have lots of time, K, until the end of the month. To make the attempts faster I "masterbatched" enough oils to do four of them, getting the oils ready always takes me the longest, and it is easy to do this time b/c I am purposefully using the same mix and not changing anything but the swirl technique.

Just a heads up on pre-mixing/masterbatching the oils - do a little extra. I always lose a little oil pouring between containers. Eg, I am using a mold which takes 24 oz of oils (@ 40 oz total batch weight). So instead of the 24 oz of oils I usually mix up, I mixed up 26 oz per batch for the masterbatch oil mix (so 26 x 4) poured the normal 24 oz out of the big masterbatch jug when I made a batch, and added the amt of lye required for the 24 oz batch size. If I have some oils left at the end I will use them for FO/mica sampling.

Last edited:
Well it's not terrible but it is nothing like I had in my head!!

I'm thinking less is more this time!!

Awwww, not_ally, I have to admit that when your pic popped up on my screen, it cracked...me...up! But like the others have said, those colors.....they're beautiful! Especially that turquoisey one. Love that. If that FO hadn't misbehaved, you would have had some pretty soap. Isn't it just like those soap gremlins to pop up when you try to do something fancy?

Can we do the swirls in shapes other than vertical/horizontal/diagonal lines? Like could we pick one and do a circle of that swirl? Does that make sense?

Nope, just to keep it consistent for all participants. You can turn your mold and do the swirl in another direction, say 90 degrees to the first but you can't do the zig zag on the diagonal, nor the diagonal loop on the parallel, nor the zig zag in a circle, for instance. Sorry! (I hope I got your question. If not, ask me again in a different way to clarify.)

I will add that your idea could be the basis for another challenge, though.

Thanks Newbie, that's exactly what I was asking - thought I'd better ask before ploughing ahead and breaking rules

Oh boy. I want to make certain I don't make this LESS clear instead of more clear. YOu can use the swirls posted in whatever dimension you like, from multiple rows of small patterns (for instance the pull down done in small scale would be a comb, or you could do multiple rows of small loops) but the pattern must cover the entire surface of the mold. If you do rows of small patterns, you can't just do two rows on top and not on the rest. You may do one "pattern" over the entire surface, like draw a huge loop over the whole surface or do one huge eyelet from one side to the other. You may use the same pattern multiple times, like a diagonal loop, then turn the mold and do it again but that is still only one pattern. You must use a minimum of two patterns.

You may not alter the swirl, such as zigzagging in a big loop; the zigzag may only go across the mold hortizonally or vertically. You can't turn the loop into a figure eight.

The only change I was considering is allowing the pull down to wave in slight S curves, versus only going in a straight line. I was considering this because I am sometimes impaired and my straight lines are not always straight, so it would hide my defect. If people feel that make it too complicated, I have no problems keeping it straight.

So, I can't do the design diagonally across the soap? For example, from the top right corner to the bottom left? I'm just making sure. I had a design in mind with that.

I want to do the eyelet design diagonally like in the diagonal loop picture. It would be in rows. If not, I understand. I want to layer it with a diagonal loop. Would that be ok?

1)Newbie (I haven't combined many of these patterns, so this will be new to me too)

2) Saponista (Can't wait to get started )

3) Galaxy (Woot! Lots of cool swirls will come of this!)

4) not_ally (Lots of hair-pulling will come of this! Hopefully some cool swirls as well.)

5) Seawolfe (no idea what I'm doing, but will get soap batter in my hair and have fun))

6) Soapswirl (excited to try something new!)

7) Dixiedragon (got something in mind!)

8 ) Mintle (I am swirling on the inside already hehehe )

9) Lionprincess (is busy swearing mightily because her phone service stinks)

10) KristaY (went scouring the dollar store this morning for interesting tools!)

11) Sonya - as if I would miss it!!

12) Artisan Designs (by Kat) -(I have some plastic throw away things from work I am hoping to use)

13) doriettefarm (I'll give it a shot. I have something in mind after studying newbie's AL swap soap and youtube videos.)

14) kumudini ( I'm decided, finally!)

15) TVivian (I'll play! Even though I've never made a swirled soap in a slab mold before!)

16) Dillsandwitch ( Either the cold has buggered off or the drugs I got are working )

17) jules92207 (Cause someone has to be the not so talented soaper so you all can feel even better about your soaps - ��&#128516

18. Kisha (so jules92207 won't feel all alone with her not so talented status��, and because you guys are just so dern convincing)

19. rainycityjen (my house crest is We Do Not Swirl. So let's see how this works)

20. TRBeck (got my first slab mold coming this week and it needs breaking in).

21. TeresaT (I have visions of grandeur and no talent to go with them.)

I'm in.

I would say hold to the patterns as stated, although I will admit that the eyelet pattern is so loopy that it's difficult to follow exactly in soap. I have used it at least several times and because of the overlaps, it's difficult to tell exactly how it was put on. I just don't want liberty taken over directions so some people follow them and others don't.

Thanks for joining, Theresa!

Latest posts

Back