1st Batch Ever: Simply Foolproof Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imblebee

Reaction score
For my first batch I wanted to make it as simple as possible. After weeks of scouring the boards, literally going from no knowledge to first soaping experiment I decided upon a simple castile. Liquid oil, slow to trace and relatively simple.

I got out my scale, measured everything up. Mixed up the lye and set it on my fire escape to cool (it's in a corner alley, so if it were to ever fall no one would ever be underneath). I couldn't find my thermometers so I "soaped blind", worked out just fine and my mixture traced in under 7 min. I did use a SB and I wonder if it's why I am having bubbles in my soaps... I have been making 1 lb. batches and the mixture is spread a little thin over the bottom of the pot while I try to SB it... Poured wonderfully, took a whole weekend plus to harden up... still too soft to cut. Took almost a week to cut properly. Future tinkering will lead me to a higher lye ratio for ease and cutting.

I did add 1t. of honey to the olive oil while it was heating... perhaps I should have done this at trace? Three weeks out I am now noticing light tan swirls in my cut bars... hmm

1 lb. batch- Castile
16 oz. Extra virgin Olive Oil
1 t. honey
5 oz. H2O
2.6 oz. NaOH :D

Anyway, have a peek at my first batch!

P3060051.jpg

P3060049.jpg

P3170125.jpg

See what I mean about the light tan swirls?!

P3170128.jpg

Hi and Welcome to the addiction! Your soap looks good! Nice a creamy! The castille will take a while to harden up before you can unmold and then cut. I think the swirls that you talk about "might" be some of the honey that heated up more and created a darker look. Honey tends to heat a lot faster and can overheat. With the SB, you might have blended air into your soap. Looks good though! Nice job!!!

Yep, honey does that. Especially if it has a chance to remain 'loose'. When I add anything that can separate I try to get to at least heavy trace before I pour, better results in the 'not separating' department.

Honey powder is easier to keep mixed and a little more forgiving heat-wise.

It's loverly soap, either way! Give yourself a big soapy high five!

yey, great soap. it is so satifying to feel the difference in natural skin care when you make it yourself.

Latest posts

Back