100% sunflower oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
:) Hi, I was woundering if anyone has made soap from this and what it is like? I also have pure sunflower seed paste that is a lovely dark olive green and it is slightly oily.
I would love to know what people think of this or If they have tried it?.
I made 100% olive and put pureed spinage in it and it is a lovely medium olive green at the monent, it is three weeks old.

x

hi there!

from what i've read sunflower seed oil can oxidize (DOS) if used in large amounts. i would probably keep it round 10-20% of the total oils. the sunflower paste sounds interestinp.

www.soapcalc.com is the most amazing free program. PLEASE read the tutorials as it explains how you can tweek recipes for added benefits-a hard bar, lots of bubbles, conditioning, etc.

it explains the properties of each oil-hardness, lather, etc and the recipe as a whole.

it will take a few hours to get the hang of it. at first i was a little bewildered-now i can't live without it!

happy soaping!

monet

depending on whether it is high oleic: which is similar to olive oil in its properties and is more shelf stable. it should give you a fairly hard bar over time, slimey soap bubbles

high linoleic: which has a much shorter shelf life. this kind will give you a much softer bar of soap and is more prone to dos.

check out this link it gives the results of single oils soaps.

http://www.singleoilsoaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9

:) Hi, heartsong thanks for the reply and link. I have looked at soapcalc and yes I find it hard to get my head around. I do understand some of whats its about.
I did make a 100% sunflower with a 5% lye discount and then added 5% castor. Also added EO and two tablespoons of salt as I feared from what I read on soapcalc it would be too soft. That was approx three weeks ago. it s a bit slimely like olive, it get a lather, my hubby had a shower with it the other night and liked it alot, He said he got a good lather with it, hes not that hairy as men go.
It was one of the cheapest bottles of sunflower.I dont know what is in it as I live in a country that I am only getting to understand small amounts of the lingo.

:) Hi Barb, thank you also for your advise and link. As I said above I really dont know whats in this bottle, It a more expensive than the last one as stated above.
I held a EVOO next to it and what ever proprities are in this particular EVOO are in this bottle of sunflower only a few grams higher.

I am still thinking about doing just a 100% sunflower, adding only the paste for colour.
Just did not want to waste my time and money if it was going to be a flop.

If I do I will post my results.
Thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back