100% olive oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susucosp

Reaction score
i am a newbie in soap making but i have read a lot and watch a lot of youtube video. i want to make soap for my own use first, later on the road, i am going to sell some of what i make.

my question is i am going to make 100% olive oil soap without nothing else.
16oz of olive oil
2 oz of lye
6 oz of water

what is the concentration of glycerin in this soap receipt. i read that glycerin is a by product in soap making.

I would not start with castile since it is tricker to make, you need some extra info to start with OO only
also it is a long time to trace and a very thin one when it finally shows, which is tricky.

I personally thought castile was very easy to make and with a stick blender it didn't take too long to get to trace. But then I've only made one batch. I generally recommend it for beginners.

FreeRabbit said:
I would not start with castile since it is tricker to make, you need some extra info to start with OO only
also it is a long time to trace and a very thin one when it finally shows, which is tricky.
It depends which OO you use. For me, if I use pomace, I get a very fast trace.

With that much water, it will probably take a VERY long time to trace, and even longer than usual to cure. I use a 50% lye solution for castile, and even using olive pomace and a stick blender, it takes upwards of 40 minutes to trace. You might want to discount the water a bit. Even 4 oz will be better than 6. As usual, make sure to handle your lye solution safely.

100% Castile is one of my easiest soaps to make provided that I don't use a full water amount when making it. I like to use a 33% lye solution with it instead so that it sets up in a more timely fashion. With full water, it just takes forever and a day.

IrishLass :)

Castille was my first CP soap and I think it is a great one to start out with.

There are lots of great resources on the net about soap making and don't forget your local library as well for books.

Take your time, don't rush into it, make sure you are well read and have your head around what your doing and have gotten the equipment you will need and then have a go and see if soap making is for you.

Your getting ahead of yourself thinking about potentially selling soap before you have tried it out though ;)

It often takes over an hour for my OO soaps to trace; even pomace.

thank you for all your respond.

the reasons i want to make my own 100% olive oil soap is because i have a very dry skin and sensitive skin. my friend make a special receipt for me that is 30% olive oil soap with a lot of other oil in it like 10% coconut oil, 15% palm oil, 10% walnut oil, ......... it cost me $7.5 a bar but still i am not happy with the result this soap given me.

although i have never make any soap before, but soap making is not a difficult science. i study science in high school and engineering in university. making soap is a piece of cake for me as long as i practice to get to the right skill. practice make perfect. the only danger is putting lye into water slowly and do not cause overheat. otherwise, the rest of the process is a piece of cake, practice make perfect!

the main reason i ask is i want an soap bar with the highest possible glycerin content in it. oil plus lye equal to glycerin, that is the process of saponification. how much percent of content glycerin is what i want to know. is it the same glycerin content as a 100% glycerin pour and melt?
if the 100% olive soap i am going to make is not satisfy by me, i am planning to make 100% glycerin soap myself to compare and see the real difference.

i guess this is more of a science question that making soap question.

2 oz of lye and 6 oz of water is 33% lye solution? my formula should be correct?

i am a newbie in soap making but i have read a lot and watch a lot of youtube video. i want to make soap for my own use first, later on the road, i am going to sell some of what i make.

my question is i am going to make 100% olive oil soap without nothing else.
16oz of olive oil
2 oz of lye
6 oz of water

what is the concentration of glycerin in this soap receipt. i read that glycerin is a by product in soap making.

FreeRabbit said:
:?:

I recommend 100% olive oil soaps for beginners. Easy to see what is going on and lots of time.

If it takes at long to trace, Mouse, start with warm lye and use a stick blender.

Regarding the amount of glycerin, try here. Math is fun. http://cavemanchemistry.com/cavebook/chsoap2.html

You alsomhave the option of adding glycerin to HP soap, by the way.

Ummm... sorry to be the one to point this out, but making soap is NOT a piece of cake. Studying science at high school doesnt make it any easier.

But you will soon work that out for yourself.

Good luck :)

busymakinsoap! said:
Ummm... sorry to be the one to point this out, but making soap is NOT a piece of cake. Studying science at high school doesnt make it any easier.

But you will soon work that out for yourself.

Good luck :)

+1

Your end result depends on many things, not just which oils you choose, but the proportions of each, the % of your lye discount, the inclusion of additives (milks, clays, etc.) 100% olive oil soap is very mild. But it's by no means the only way to go.

Can you make usable soap on your first try? Yes. But perfecting a soap recipe takes time and experimentation.

carebear said:
FreeRabbit said:
If it takes at long to trace, Mouse, start with warm lye and use a stick blender.

I always stick blend, and use warm lye...not sure why, but it still often takes my OO soap forever to trace.

Other than the trace factor, which just takes patience, it's one of the simplest soaps to make, in my humble opinion.

susucosp said:
is it the same glycerin content as a 100% glycerin pour and melt? i am planning to make 100% glycerin soap myself to compare and see the real difference.

Glycerin soap also known as melt and pour (MP) is NOT 100% glycerin. There are other ingredients in it. Glycerin is a liquid and it isn't soap. Maybe you know this but from the post it sounds like you don't.

I have seen false info spread by some unknowledgeable (or shady) melt and pour soapers (on etsy) that their soap is 100% glycerin. No such thing.

Mouse said:
It often takes over an hour for my OO soaps to trace; even pomace.....

I always stick blend, and use warm lye...not sure why, but it still often takes my OO soap forever to trace.

How much water do you use in your recipe? I ask because it only takes mine about 20 minutes tops to come to a medium-thick trace using a 33% lye solution and Grade A olive oil with room temp lye and oil. The only time it took my 100% Castile forever to trace and set up was when I soaped it with a full water amount.

susucosp said:
2 oz of lye and 6 oz of water is 33% lye solution? my formula should be correct?

16oz of olive oil
2 oz of lye
6 oz of water

No, not correct. For the recipe you posted above, 2 oz of lye and 6 oz of water equals a 25% lye solution, which would be considered a full water amount. The correct amount of lye/water for your recipe if you were to use a 33% lye solution would be 6 oz of lye and 4 oz of water.

The first soap I made was Castile. I used Agriffin's recipe from her I luv soap blog and used a steep water discount,( 1:1 lye to water if I remember correctly) I absolute love this soap - I am a huge Castile fan :D

IrishLass said:
susucosp said:

16oz of olive oil
2 oz of lye
6 oz of water

No, not correct. For the recipe you posted above, 2 oz of lye and 6 oz of water equals a 25% lye solution, which would be considered a full water amount. The correct amount of lye/water for your recipe if you were to use a 33% lye solution would be 6 oz of lye and 4 oz of water.

Hi IrishLass, I think you misspoke and meant to type 4 ounces of lye and 6 ounces of water. :D

Back