100% olive oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i will try to make a batch of 100% olive oil soap this week

thanks for all your input.

everyone can make soap but to make good soap need practice, patient, persistent, time, effort, ......

if there is a wish, there will be a way! i really need it to work on my dry skin!
practice make perfect!

i am going to make my first batch of 100% olive oil soap this week, i will post my result 8 weeks from now. :D

Re: i will try to make a batch of 100% olive oil soap this w

susucosp said:
if there is a wish, there will be a way! i really need it to work on my dry skin!
practice make perfect!
btw, soap doesn't moisturize. try lotion after you wash!

judymoody said:
IrishLass said:
susucosp said:
2 oz of lye and 6 oz of water is 33% lye solution? my formula should be correct?

16oz of olive oil
2 oz of lye
6 oz of water

No, not correct. For the recipe you posted above, 2 oz of lye and 6 oz of water equals a 25% lye solution, which would be considered a full water amount. The correct amount of lye/water for your recipe if you were to use a 33% lye solution would be 6 oz of lye and 4 oz of water.

IrishLass :)

Hi IrishLass, I think you misspoke and meant to type 4 ounces of lye and 6 ounces of water. :D

Good catch! Thanks judymoody! Yikes! :shock: Actually, what I should have written was 4 oz water and 2 oz lye. Whew!

IrishLass :)

anyone has any better receipt

once again, thanks for all your input

i have never made soap before. today i have purchased everything and the rest is up to look for the best recipe

anyone has any better recipe than this:
24.4 oz Olive Oil
6.83 oz Distilled Water
3.14 oz lye

to make sure i get 100% glycerin soap, i am going to make a batch this week too. there is no guarantee that i get 100% glycerin soap from pour and melt.

my recipe is
12 oz 91% rubbing alcohol
10 oz. sugar, moistened in just enough hot water to dissolve it, but as little as possible
8 oz. glycerin

i am going to give these 2 soap batch a try and i will update after i am ready to cut them.

:D

if you have dry skin, you should probably not put that much alcohol in something you want to put on your skin....

Rubbing alcohol combined with sugar and glycerin? Where's the rest of the ingredients because I don't think those three things are going to create anything other than sticky goo. Are you adding those three things to the olive oil soap you're making? Glycerin soap is not 100% glycerin, there are other ingredients. Somebody back me up on this. :lol:

You can use the alcohol with real soap to make "glycerin" soap (transparent soap). But you cannot make soap with just alcohol and glycerin.

Soap is salts of fatty acids. From fats. And caustic. Glycerin is neither a fat nor a caustic. It's a byproduct of soapmaking, though.

Glycerin soap is still soap.

(note - biodiesel "glycerin" has a lot of fats in it still. so you can make soap with that - plus caustic, of course))

That "recipe" came from here: http://millersoap.com/glycerinsoap.html
Note that it says also "For 3 pounds of soap shavings you will need approximately:" Because the materials (alcohol, sugar, glycerin) are used WITH the soap to make glycerin soap. Scroll down 2/3 of the way to see the actual steps to make soap into "glycerin soap". There are two parts. First part is to make soap. Second part is to convert it.

I strongly suggest you learn how to make regular soap, just soap, first. Don't try to make it into glycerin soap until you learn the first step pretty well.

thanks for all your input

i am going to try my first batch of 100% olive oil soap first.

i am going to read more about making clear glycerin soap before i make my second batch.

hmmm. well typically it takes a few batches to get "good" at soap - but go with your heart.

information from the internet

i read from the internet that there are about 10% - 20% glycerin that are byproduct of the soap making if no glycerin is extract from the soap after saponification. so i am going to try to add a little more glycerin may be 10% more to my soap rebatch experiment. wish me luck! :wink:

Latest posts

Back