100% lard pine tar HP soap cracks splits crumbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mary_White

Reaction score
My first attempt at making a 100% lard 5% sf pine tar soap was terrible. I chose lard because the previous recipe I used, from Soaping 101 never quite hardened up the way I thought it should.i wanted a nice hard long-lasting bar. I CPHP'd it, and added 1T salt and 2T sugar to my lye water, for hardness and bubbles. Of course it seized immediately, but I expected that. It was a pain to get molded, much like the CP version... What I forgot, however, was to use the full water amount, instead I used 34%... When I was able to unmold it, I attempted to cut a bar, and it cracked in the middle. Literally separated in an uneven layer. I tried again, and it held, until I turned it over, and the top of the bar lifted completely off. I ended up chopping it up to rebatch. Rebatch, with 1 cup hot water added, failed again, crumbled into pieces, and separated. Not liquid separate, but the bar coming apart. I waited, and re-rebatched with 1/2 c hot water and 1/4 cup additional lard.. It looked better, smoother, and molded much better, I added a few CP embeds for color. Us molded and tried to cut.... Embeds fell out, bars cracked and separated, crumbled everywhere. I just threw it all into a box and left it there, along with my other batch from that day that did the sake.dad gum.thing. Except it was lard, soybean, and castor. Rebatch of it failed to. The lather of the pine tar is so rich, though, I don't want to toss it. What could I have possibly done wrong..? How can I fix this?

did you hot process your soap or do CPOP (oven process?)

Pine tar tends to overheat in CP so no extra heat or insulation is needed.

If you did HP, I'd add the pine tar towards the end of cook when the lye is saponified.

Did you calculate the SAP value for your pine tar? There is one listed on soap calc.

I have made CP pine tar soap once and it overheated and separated and I had to rebatch (I insulated, silly me). I recommend that if you are doing CP, you don't use a stick blender, just a whisk or slotted spoon.

Latest posts

Back