100% coconut oil bulging in silicone molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aab1

Reaction score
I made a small batch of 4 large soaps in individual cavity silicone molds with 100% coconut oil and 20% sf but when I checked them 30-60 minutes after pouring they are causing the silicone molds to bulge a significant amount.

I don't remember ever seeing this with these molds, why did this batch do this?

Thank you

My best guess is that your soap overheats. Put them in the freezer for a while to lower the temperature.

I also think your soap has been overheated. But then, you only used the coconut oil and no other additives.

Hmmm...Did you use FO? Sometime certain FOs cause your soap to heat up, usually the floral & spice.

I always have to prop up the sides of my silicone molds when they're full. I don't have the reinforced ones. I found a box that perfectly fits it, and sit it inside the box so the sides don't bulge. It's worse when they gel, as the heat makes it softer.

I did not add any additives, I used only coconut oil, water and lye. I was doing this recipe as a test to see how a 100% coconut oil soap "behaves" in my large silicone molds while curing as another high coconut oil soap I made with other oils gelled and changed color in the center. This one seems like it gelled but it's barely noticeable which is what I was hoping for, the 100% coconut oil soaps are the 4 white ones on the left but the bulging is not noticeable since it's on the long edges and only on the side that's the outside of the mold (I had taken this photo mostly for the other soaps and didn't make the bulging of the coconut oil soaps visible):

jakk1w.jpg

The molds I use are fairly thick and had never bulged with salt soap recipes and I think I had done one or two non salt soaps that were high in coconut oil without this issue.

Thanks

Last edited:
my 100% coconut bars are pure white. I dont know what happened with yours. :(

As I posted in your other one about the palm oil stuff, palm oil makes white soap if 100% and nothing goes wrong o.o;

20140529_014417.jpg

my 100% coconut bars are pure white. I dont know what happened with yours. :(

As I posted in your other one about the palm oil stuff, palm oil makes white soap if 100% and nothing goes wrong o.o;

Only the 4 soaps on the left are 100% co soaps. The other batch is 71% palm oi and, a mix of other oils but I did add Oregon fir oil which is at least in part why they aren't white.

Only the 4 soaps on the left are 100% co soaps. The other batch is 71% palm oi and, a mix of other oils but I did add Oregon fir oil which is at least in part why they aren't white.

Ooooh, alright, ignore me, im just derpin it up :D

I've never had 100% CO soap gel in individual molds so probably can't help. I make salt bars in individual mold and have never had a problem with them causing any bulging.

Latest posts

Back