1 Random Formula = LS & CPBS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGMA0317

Reaction score
Found a random CPBS formula and made LS & my favorite 2 inch round gift basket soap. I love the way the log slides right out of the mold. LS is nice & Bars are curing. I scented the bars with 5 fold orange and left the LS unscented for now.

Attachments

• 20230725_120148.jpg
    20230725_120148.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230725_114708.jpg
    20230725_114708.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230725_114035.jpg
    20230725_114035.jpg
    901.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230725_113317.jpg
    20230725_113317.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 0
Looks great, and I love the color of the plain CP soap.

FWIW, you are the second person in a few days to post using the abbreviation “BS” - presumably for “bar soap”?

I’ve never seen anyone use that abbreviation before. Is it common in other circles?

Looks great, and I love the color of the plain CP soap.

FWIW, you are the second person in a few days to post using the abbreviation “BS” - presumably for “bar soap”?

I’ve never seen anyone use that abbreviation before. Is it common in other circles?
I thought I used cpbs. Hmm lol was in a hurry. Not in any circles but BS is usually short for bull💩 🤣🤣🤣🤣 But BS can mean many things in many circles. When I began soaping it was always referred to as cpbs( Cold Process Bar Soap) If you leave off the BS it's Cold Process....but Cold Process, What? Many things can be cold processed. I think the other ancient soapers understand. 🤣

Last edited:
I thought I used cpbs. Hmm lol was in a hurry. Not in any circles but BS is usually short for bull💩 🤣🤣🤣🤣 But BS can mean many things in many circles.
Sorry, to clarify, I was referring to the use of “BS” as part of that acronym CPBS.

Most soapers (at least in the US, and here on SMF) simply refer to that as CP. That is commonly understood to refer to bar soap unless one adds “LS” to refer to liquid soap. Same with HP; that’s understood to refer to bar soap unless you add “LS” after that.

I was just curious, bc as stated previously, you are the second person in two or three days to refer to “CPBS.” Since this just isn’t common usage in any soapy circles of which I’m aware, I was wondering about the source of this new acronym.

Last edited:
Sorry, to clarify, I was referring to the use of “BS” as part of that acronym CPBS.

Most soapers (at least in the US, and here on SMF) simply refer to that as CP. That is commonly understood to refer to bar soap unless one adds “LS” to refer to liquid soap.

I was just curious, bc as stated previously, you are the second person in two or three days to refer to “CPBS.” Since this just isn’t common usage in any soapy circles of which I’m aware, I was wondering about the source of this new acronym.
Wow. May I ask How long you've been making soap? When I started 20+ years ago, It was a VERY common abbreviation. The forum I joined back then doesn't exist anymore- But that is how it was introduced to me and many others. As long as it's understood....🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve been soaping since ~2011 mostly using recipes from blogs as I learned how to create my own recipes.

I wasn’t part of any organized forum (such as The Dish, or Yahoo soapers) until I joined a bunch of Facebook soap groups in 2016 or so. I found this forum about the time I quit FB, I think in 2017? Became a member here in 2018.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that context. Like I said, I’ve not seen that acronym used anywhere before, so I was curious to see it used twice within a few days by two different members. One thing I love about soaping is that there is always something new to learn!

May I ask How long you've been making soap? When I started 20+ years ago, It was a VERY common abbreviation.
I started soaping in 2003 and joined the Handcrafted Soap Making Forum in 2004, also the Liquid Soapers Yahoo group. I was a member of The Dish, but never participated there. Ever. Same with the Whisk. I only joined them to keep tabs on friends and sneak a peek at the files posted by RATXXXX (?) who shared a lot of info about making soap.

I joined Southern Soapers and a few other BIO (By Invitation Only) groups that split off from the Dish due to the shananigans that developed over there. Never experienced any of that but heard a lot about the witchy (with a "b") behavior of the peeps who ran it.

When I started 20+ years ago, It was a VERY common abbreviation.
Like @AliOop , I've never heard of the term CPBS. :smallshrug:

That doesn't mean to say it wasn't prevalent back then. Just saying I never came across it before. 😁

If you leave off the BS it's Cold Process....but Cold Process, What? Many things can be cold processed. I think the other ancient soapers understand. 🤣
At risk of dating myself as "ancient", I do understand. Well said. :thumbs:

Found a random CPBS formula and made LS & my favorite 2 inch round gift basket soap. I love the way the log slides right out of the mold. LS is nice & Bars are curing.
Now that I clearly understand, I would really appreciate your sharing your recipe with me. Either here or in private.

I am one of "those people" who discourages Newbies from using a Bar Soap recipe to make LS. I'm impressed by your results... especially your honey thick LS! My curiosity is piqued. I'd like to pick your brain... in a nice way.
😁

I’ve been wondering what happened to The Dish forum! I was a member there many moons ago and did participate some, but there were was definitely a lot of ‘witchiness with a b’ by certain members.
I joined Southern Soapers and a few other BIO (By Invitation Only) groups that split off from the Dish due to the shananigans that developed over there. Never experienced any of that but heard a lot about the witchy (with a "b") behavior of the peeps who ran it.

I’ve been wondering what happened to The Dish forum! I was a member there many moons ago and did participate some, but there were was definitely a lot of ‘witchiness with a b’ by certain members.

It's been defunct for some years now. Not quite sure when they threw in the towel and shut things down. Unfortunately, there are no archives available of the content on The DIsh. It's just ... gone.

The culture there could be pretty rough, IMO unnecessarily so. I mostly lurked.

It's been defunct for some years now. Not quite sure when they threw in the towel and shut things down. Unfortunately, there are no archives available of the content on The DIsh. It's just ... gone.

Yes, I agree about the culture of that forum; definitely had a bullying vibe if you didn’t agree with the ‘in’ crowd. I think that’s why I’m enjoying SMF so much, most everyone seeems genuinely interested in helping and encouraging others.

I’ve been soaping since ~2011 mostly using recipes from blogs as I learned how to create my own recipes.

I wasn’t part of any organized forum (such as The Dish, or Yahoo soapers) until I joined a bunch of Facebook soap groups in 2016 or so. I found this forum about the time I quit FB, I think in 2017? Became a member here in 2018.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that context. Like I said, I’ve not seen that acronym used anywhere before, so I was curious to see it used twice within a few days by two different members. One thing I love about soaping is that there is always something new to learn!
I've interacted more on this forum than the one I mentioned, because I'm mostly a lurker. I didn't ask questions. I learned about abbreviations and suppliers and I was off on my own. The most important thing I learned was that it was best to be off on my own.

20 years plus soaping here as well, and I've been active on other forums ... never heard of that until this thread. Maybe it's a hobby thing?
I'm not sure what hobbies have to do with that abbreviation. Perhaps soaping is a hobby for you? But that doesn't explain the connection.. Idk but It's not a hobby for me. 🤔 Also I was never considered a "regular" member of any forum lol more like a professional lurker.

I started soaping in 2003 and joined the Handcrafted Soap Making Forum in 2004, also the Liquid Soapers Yahoo group. I was a member of The Dish, but never participated there. Ever. Same with the Whisk. I only joined them to keep tabs on friends and sneak a peek at the files posted by RATXXXX (?) who shared a lot of info about making soap.

Like @AliOop , I've never heard of the term CPBS. :smallshrug:

That doesn't mean to say it wasn't prevalent back then. Just saying I never came across it before. 😁

At risk of dating myself as "ancient", I do understand. Well said. :thumbs:

Now that I clearly understand, I would really appreciate your sharing your recipe with me. Either here or in private.

I am one of "those people" who discourages Newbies from using a Bar Soap recipe to make LS. I'm impressed by your results... especially your honey thick LS! My curiosity is piqued. I'd like to pick your brain... in a nice way. 😁I'm
I don't think I qualify for newbie status anymore.. I'm sure you have numerous formulas to choose from. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own. As far as the abbreviation I used, it came from the one and only forum I visited. This forum is the 2nd forum I've visited in many years. Interesting how a simple abbreviation on a gallery post has this much attention. 🤣

Found a random CPBS formula and made LS & my favorite 2 inch round gift basket soap. I love the way the log slides right out of the mold. LS is nice & Bars are curing. I scented the bars with 5 fold orange and left the LS unscented for now.
Adding my cream soap to the mix. 😁

Have you ever looked up SMF and the reviews?

The ancient cave-soaper forum 🤭 where we called it "cpbs" had it's clique as many forums of various interests do. That's the first and most important thing you'll learn about ALL of them. So lurking in peace is a wonderful thing.

Attachments

• 20230817_133918.jpg
    20230817_133918.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
lol.
l
I'm not sure what hobbies have to do with that abbreviation. Perhaps soaping is a hobby for you? But that doesn't explain the connection.. Idk but It's not a hobby for me. 🤔 Also I was never considered a "regular" member of any forum lol more like a professional lurker.

I don't think I qualify for newbie status anymore.. I

The ancient cave-soaper forum 🤭 where we called it "cpbs" had it's clique as many forums of various interests do. That's the first and most important thing you'll learn about ALL of them. So lurking in peace is a wonderful thing.
Lol.

Professional soaper for 20 years. Make my living at it.

Groups will have their names for things, but that doesn't mean everyone, or anyone, else uses them.

I don't think I qualify for newbie status anymore.🤣
Oh no! I wasn't calling you a "Newbie"! LOL I was saying "I'm one who discourages Newbies from using a Bar Soap recipe to make LS". After I read what you wrote, I think you are on to something. I should have added, and "I'd like to learn more about your method". With the intention of sharing with others in the future.

I apologize if I sounded rude. I sometimes forget that others do not have the time or are not as willing as I am, or whatever, to share their knowledge and experience. No worries. I totally understand.

I'm sure you have numerous formulas to choose from. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own.
I've pretty much learned on my own since I made my first bar of soap in 2003 at age 60. So there! 😁

Over the years, I've probably taught hundreds of people to make LS the Catherine Failor way because that's what the Liquid Soapmakers Group was founded on. And, yes, I am OCD about crystal clear LS and that's mainly where I'm coming from.

Since then, I've incorporated many of the innovations made to the process and include them when troubleshooting for myself and others. My favorite is Carrie Petersen's GLS (glycerin subbed for the water) where the paste becomes soap in all of 2 minutes! It is so much fun to make! And a huge improvement to making 100% Olive Oil Castile LS.

These days, most soapers don't care about clarity so much. That's fine. Opaque LS is every bit as nice to use. I've always said "There are about as many ways to make LS as there are LS-ers." 😄 There's always something new to learn about LS.

You can throw your hat in that ring or not. No worries. I was just curious.
🧐

Last edited:
lol.

Lol.

Professional soaper for 20 years. Make my living at it.

Groups will have their names for things, but that doesn't mean everyone, or anyone, else uses them.
Wonderful. It's really not worthy of this much attention. Perhaps one of you should start a separate thread about it. Nothing left for me to say about it so...thanks for responding. 😁👍🏻

Latest posts

Back