Lower 48 Patch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm traveling to the lower 48 in a couple weeks and want to bring back 16 oz of affordable patchouli with me for CP soaping. Can you recommend a good product/vendor/price? I could spend hours on line searching but am hoping you can hep me narrow in quickly. This is a one shot deal for me so TIA for helping me with it.

By the way, this is my 2014 Christmas wish list for Santa ;). They are the lowest prices based on my research!

Camdengrey:

Lemon - 1 lb - ($28.90)
Lime - 1 lb - ($29.50)
Sweet orange - 1 lb - ($7.50)
Ylang ylang, 1 lb - ($57.40)

Lebermuth:

Geranium(rose) Egyptian, 1 lb - $25.25
Grapefruit Pin, 1 lb - $19.25
Lavender 40/42, 1 lb - $28.90
Lemongrass, 1 lb - $17.80
Litsea Cubeba, 1 lb - $15.75
Tea tree, 1 lb - $38.95

NDA's is not the dark aged patch. Fragrancelaboratory.com has a dark patch for $49 per lb. As I told Carabou before it is okay but not as nice or strong as a good dark aged.
Liberty Natural has a dark aged Indonesa patch for $62.50 per lb.

NDA's is not the dark aged patch. Fragrancelaboratory.com has a dark patch for $49 per lb. As I told Carabou before it is okay but not as nice or strong as a good dark aged.
Liberty Natural has a dark aged Indonesa patch for $62.50 per lb.

What a score this post was. :thumbup: From what I know about patchoulioil extraction, the darker stuff is extracted using ferrous metals or even copper and the light colored oil comes from stainless distillation. That aged stuff is so out of this world that and I wear it with fractionated coconut oil or jojoba.

Last edited:
By the way, this is my 2014 Christmas wish list for Santa ;). They are the lowest prices based on my research!

Camdengrey:

Lemon - 1 lb - ($28.90)
Lime - 1 lb - ($29.50)
Sweet orange - 1 lb - ($7.50)
Ylang ylang, 1 lb - ($57.40)

Lebermuth:

Geranium(rose) Egyptian, 1 lb - $25.25
Grapefruit Pin, 1 lb - $19.25
Lavender 40/42, 1 lb - $28.90
Lemongrass, 1 lb - $17.80
Litsea Cubeba, 1 lb - $15.75
Tea tree, 1 lb - $38.95

I really have to do mypricing homework again. Love Camden Grey too. You guys are the best.

Awesome info, please keep it coming! NDA also has a $100 minimum order which I could probably handle but patch is really my priority based on the difficulty of getting it in AK and the blends I want to create with it. Whatever I order, I'll have it shipped to my dad's place in South Dakota and fly it back in checked luggage. So another criteria is that the shipment must reach me there within about 3 weeks from now.

Another question:What is the difference between Indonesian dark aged and regular dark, generally speaking? I realize every batch will be different but am wondering what the main advantage is. TIA again!

I've only used the dark from NDA and BB's. But based on that, the darker the better, is has more of what I consider to be a true patchouli scent. One of my top selling soaps is called Dirty Hippie and is predominantly patch. (If I used FOs, I'd throw in something that smells like Mary Jane...) it reminds me of college, my hippie heydays at Madison in the 90's.

I have to say, I was not impressed with the patch from NDA. I'm back to using Brambleberry's.

Good heads up.

I've only used the dark from NDA and BB's. But based on that, the darker the better, is has more of what I consider to be a true patchouli scent. One of my top selling soaps is called Dirty Hippie and is predominantly patch. (If I used FOs, I'd throw in something that smells like Mary Jane...) it reminds me of college, my hippie heydays at Madison in the 90's.

I know of one place that sells an EO blend that smells just like Mary Jane. Look around for 'big buddha'. It is from a supplier in LA. It is extracts, isolates, etc. and smells like the real deal. However, it is expensive.

Awesome info, please keep it coming! NDA also has a $100 minimum order which I could probably handle but patch is really my priority based on the difficulty of getting it in AK and the blends I want to create with it. Whatever I order, I'll have it shipped to my dad's place in South Dakota and fly it back in checked luggage. So another criteria is that the shipment must reach me there within about 3 weeks from now.

Another question:What is the difference between Indonesian dark aged and regular dark, generally speaking? I realize every batch will be different but am wondering what the main advantage is. TIA again!

Hey CaraBou if you're flying just remember you can't bring mass liquids back with you. *sadface*

Hey CaraBou if you're flying just remember you can't bring mass liquids back with you. *sadface*

No reason for sadface! It is legal to pack up to 68 fluid ounces of perfumes or other hazardous toiletry or medicinal items in checked luggage. EOs and FOs fit those categories nicely. Just need to make sure no one container exceeds 17 fl oz. Here's the FAA flyer:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...media/materialscarriedbypassengersandcrew.pdf

I tested this last winter, when I returned from my Florida vacation loaded up with goodies from Essential Deopot. I had no problems at all.

I know of one place that sells an EO blend that smells just like Mary Jane. Look around for 'big buddha'. It is from a supplier in LA. It is extracts, isolates, etc. and smells like the real deal. However, it is expensive.

I have a pretty realistic FO from Soapalooza that is spot on, too. It is called Wicked Ganja and was about $13 for 4 ounces. I've soaped it once without no acceleration or discoloration. I'm saving the rest to blend with the patch!

liberty naturals have the best price that I've found. I usually get it from NDA b/c I'm in Canada, so shipping isn't as bad for me, but Liberty Naturals looks much cheaper

Untitled.png

I've tried a lot of patches over the years and the best patch I've found is from www.AV-AT.com, better than NDA's and EOU's now called The Perfumery.

Even at wholesale prices AV isn't the cheapest but it is the best, to my nose anyway. Cheaper stuff comes closer if it's put aside for 5-6 years to age, one reason for discrepancy in prices.

In with Sage, I use AV-AT.com. Did a TON of research looking for quality and in my book they win. Not as sure about pricing (haven't compared them recently) but I love their dark Indonesian patchouli.

I am so grateful for this post right now, I really need some new patch and have been getting NDA's dark patch. From these reviews I am thinking I will try a new one. Thanks!

If you go for a dark patch I would order again from Fragrance Laboratory. I am sitting here smelling the soap I poured and it is quite nice. It is a little sharper less smokey than my original aged dark patch but still nice

AV's patch (bulk pricing) is $70.50 for 16 oz for the dark Indonesia organic steam-distilled. Buy as much as you can and let it get even better by aging several years. It gets stronger so you use less. Really, I have not been impressed by anyone else's.

If you have lotsa money, buy the superb Indian patch at $90 for 8 oz ($153 for 16 oz)... more for perfumery than soaping at those prices, but exquisite. I buy a half ounce for $10, just for me to whiff OOB and for perfumes.... makes me swoon. :)http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back