Hanger Swirl ?'s

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskat22

Reaction score
There's another post about how I thought I could swirl but couldn't, and it was suggested to me to go watch some videos on youtube about a hanger swirl (which I did, I <3 Celine and Titch!) but now I have a few questions!

First, what exactly are hangers made out of, and is it 'safe' to be putting in soap?!

Second, the hanger Celine uses in her videos has a wooden dowel or something across the bottom (to make it thicker) and in most of the other videos I watched it as just a regular (bent) hanger, clearly this is personal preference, but if you wanted to beef it up, what do you think would be the best way? I did see someone mention taping skewers to the bottom then wrap with plastic wrap, but that seems like it might get messy..as plastic wrap and I don't really get along.

Third...can you screw this up? Like can you over swirl it?

As always, thanks for your help, advice and guidance!

I think Celine did use a plain hanger in earlier videos and later on started using the beefed up one. I was using a plain hanger until I saw her use the thicker one. I used blue painter's tape to fasten two wooden skewers to my hanger. It rinses off just fine - but I think I prefer the swirl that the plain hanger makes better. I don't do the hanger swirl that often so I have only done one swirl with the skewers attached. I'll probably use it another time or two before I decide which to use. Hangers are made of some kind of steel - not stainless, but they're not aluminum so they should be fine to use just to swirl. If you're concerned, you can always cover the bare metal with painter's tape.

I do think you can overdo the hanger swirl and that less is more. But - whatever floats your boat, ya know? You may like more swirling - just play around with it and see.

Someone threads springs onto her hanger to make it more "draggy". The springs cover the horizontal part of the hanger -- the part that does the swirling. The vertical "handle" parts are just the plain hanger wire. Not sure how easy this is to clean, but her swirls are pretty.

Heck, I'm just tryin' to get my soap to swirl, so I'll stick with the plain hanger for a bit. Anyone make training wheels for these things? :razz: --DeeAnna

PS: Every wire hanger I have ever seen was made out of steel wire. If you have any doubt, see if a refrigerator magnet "sticks" to the wire. If it DOES stick, the wire is not aluminum and it should be safe to use with soap. If you want to take off the varnish coating on the wire, use a bit of fine sandpaper or steel wool to polish off the coating until the silvery steel shows through.

Last edited:
My husband fashioned my hanger swirl tool from a heavy metal hanger. I found it wasn't thick enough for me either, so I "beefed" mine up with a McDonald's straw. It's a thicker straw than regular ones and works great. I slit it down the length, then slip it onto the hanger and tape the slit and ends with clear packing tape. Not too messy and it works great for me!

I think that I am going to use one of those hanges from the dry cleaner. I will just bend it into shape and the paper tube at the bottom will work to swirl.

I like the idea of using the drinking straw on the hanger, but rather than sliting the straw and taping it back up, why not just bend the hanger straight, thread the straw over the wire and bend it to the appropriate length for your mold?

I like the idea of using the drinking straw on the hanger, but rather than sliting the straw and taping it back up, why not just bend the hanger straight, thread the straw over the wire and bend it to the appropriate length for your mold?

equally desirable method!

Latest posts

Back