Solid bubble bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomemadeBathGoodies

Reaction score
does anyone know of a good recipe for a solid bubble bar?

i dont want to use Cocamide DEA.

any advice how to avoid that product and still get a good bar that holds its shape.

Actually, the only recipe I found on Swift's site is for a syndet bar that ended up being an okay bubble bar, but didn't totally dissolve (which, in my book, makes it unsatisfactory). I also would love to have a good bubble bar recipe. AGriffin has a nice recipe on her site, but I found that when I made it (and perhaps I didn't do it right), it did not dissolve easily in the tub. I had to work it with my fingers quite a bit. So, I have yet to find a great recipe.

I gave up making them. I could just never get a good recipe that would give me bubbles like Lush ones do.
There's a few recipes floating around.
Have you tried using the search feature on the site?? It should bring up a heap of stuff.... or google? In fact I found one on good old Utube as well.

HomemadeBathGoodies said:
does anyone know of a good recipe for a solid bubble bar?

i dont want to use Cocamide DEA.

any advice how to avoid that product and still get a good bar that holds its shape.

Why don't you want to use cocamide DEA? Just wondering...

Are you going to use slsa? That will give you your bubbles and you can use glycerin to bind everything together. I don't like them with glycerin but I think that would be your only option if you didn't want to use a liquid surf.

cocamide DEA is bad for u. It is not a safe ingredient to use. I do make my bubble bars with glycerin and I will stick to that recipe. I do use SLSA for my bubbles. It is gentler than SLS. There is no evidence that SLS causes cancer, so SLSA is an alternative, it is alot milder to use, but I do know that it is drying to the skin.

is there evidence that cocamide DEA causes cancer? or is it toxic in some other way?

all detergents, and soaps, are drying - their function is to remove oils... some just do a better job of it than others.

I use this website to check how ingredients rate-up.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

i type in the name of the product ex: Cocamide DEA

and it tells you what they rate it: ex: it rates a 6 - fair

green - very good, no toxins
yellow -somewhat safe depending on usage
red - not tat safe

i like this site alot and use it to compare ingredients and things like that. hope it helps. :)

I take that site with a grain of salt. There is a better one without all the scaremongering. When I get home tonight, I'll look for it and post it.

I found this one online.

Recipe for Bubble Bars
Difficulty: Easy
1/3 cup of cream of tartar
1 cup of baking soda
1 cup of sodium lauryl sulfoacetate SLSA (powdered foaming agent)
1/3 cup (more or less) of glycerin liquid
A few drops of water-based soap colorant
Fragrance or essential oil
A loaf pan or other mold large enough to hold all the mixture

Step 1. Go shopping for your ingredients. Some you may already have in your pantry, and some you can pick up at your local grocery store. The rest can easily be purchased online at a soap making supply Web site (see below).

Step 2. You will need a clean, clutter free work space to make your handmade solid bubble bath. The kitchen counter or table works perfectly.

Step 3. Wash your hands thoroughly. You will be using them to mix and mold the solid bubble bath bars and you don’t want to transfer bacteria from your hands onto your handmade Christmas goodies. It’s also recommended to wear thin kitchen gloves if you’re worried about staining your hands when they come in contact with the liquid colorant.

Step 4. Mix all of your dry ingredients into a large metal or glass mixing bowl. Using your hands as sifters, thoroughly blend the dry ingredients together and remove any lumps.

Step 5. Add your liquid colorant. Don’t add too much as even high quality soap colorant can stain tubs and skin if used in excess. Instead, aim for a light to medium pastel shade. It’s always nice to try and match your color with the fragrance you plan on using. For instance, if you're making Lavender scented bubble bath, use a little purple colorant.

Step 6. Add your fragrance. Start with approximately 25 drops of fragrance oil from an eye dropper and mix the “dough” well with your hands to incorporate the color and fragrance. Give your solid bubble bath a sniff test and add a little more fragrance if the scent isn’t strong enough for you.

Step 7. The last ingredient to be added is the liquid glycerin. Pour this in slowly, small amounts at a time, and mix thoroughly until the mixture holds together in your hand (similar to dough).

Step 8. You are now ready to transfer your solid bubble bath to a loaf pan. Press the bubble bath dough firmly into the loaf pan to help the mixture hold together better while drying. Let the dough sit in the loaf pan for approximately an hour to allow it to begin to set up.

Step 9. After an hour you can carefully remove the bubble bath loaf from the mold. If it is too dry and crumbly return the mixture to the bowl, add more liquid glycerin and mix thoroughly. Return to the loaf pan to set up for another hour.

Step 10. Once the bubble bath loaf is firm enough you may begin to cut it into small cubes or slices. Use a sharp knife or a dough cutter and cut into either thin bread-like slices or into cubes approximately the size of a standard ice cube or a little larger.

Step 11. Place these pieces on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and allow them to cure and harden overnight.

Step 12. Once the solid bubble bath bars have hardened, they are ready to be wrapped. Use clear cellophane for wrapping to protect the solid bubble bath from humidity. Always store your solid bubble bars in a cool, dry place. Try to use within two to three months for best results.

Wow, thank you for posting that Bergamot & Bubbles (and great name). I might have to give a bubble bar a try.

Here are some of the bubble bars and bath cookies I have been working on.
img1198oh.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I have used that recipe before, and found that unless you use them up really fast,they end up weeping.. so just wondering if you would be able to use water/glycerine mix, and see if that would prevent some of the weeping that they do despite wrapping in shrink wrap?

shadowdancer said:
I have used that recipe before, and found that unless you use them up really fast,they end up weeping.. so just wondering if you would be able to use water/glycerine mix, and see if that would prevent some of the weeping that they do despite wrapping in shrink wrap?

No, I wouldn't do that. I would add a little cornstarch or kaolin clay to the recipe. That will eliminate the weeping.

Latest posts

Back