best & easiest way to sanitize bottles/jars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lulubelle

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows of a better way to sanitize bottles other than boiling water?? I find it to be a real pain in the you know what :x

I thought I heard somewhere that there is a spray that can be used??

There are a few options available to you to sanitize containers.

1. Dip the containers into Hydrogen Peroxide and allow to dry. Once the containers are dry, you can fill them.
2. Dip the containers into a solution of bleach and water (1 tablespoon bleach per 1 gallon water). You will have to rinse the containers in water before they can be used, because the bleach will interfere with your product's color and scent.
3. Use a No Rinse Sanitizer like Star-San Sanitizer or other such products. This may not work if you have really hard water. You can find products like this a local home brewing supply store or online.

I hope this helps!

New, properly stored bottle and jars don't require any additional sanitizing.
Keep the clean, dry and dust free, they'll be good to go.

Andee said:
3. Use a No Rinse Sanitizer like Star-San Sanitizer or other such products. This may not work if you have really hard water. You can find products like this a local home brewing supply store or online.

I hope this helps!

That's what I use (Star-San mixed with distilled water), but I only use it for sanitizing my lotion-making equipment/utensils (i.e. jars, spoons, measuring cups, spatulas, stickblender shaft, etc..) as opposed to my packaging. For my packaging, I follow Deda's advice. As long as my lotion bottles straight from my vendor are clean, dry and dust free, I have found that they are good to go.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back