scent in soap-stays on skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue hill

Reaction score
I have an issue which is maybe not really an issue at all, or maybe its just me. but i like it when i use a soap, that the scent will remain on my skin, so i can smell it afterwards. This happens with commercial soaps, as well as Lush products, etc. But not with the soaps i make. I use 1 tsp FO ppo as recommended, should i be using more? Does anyone else have this problem, or am i just expecting too much from handmade soap?

It is very hit or miss. Some scents stick on the skin but most rinse off. Also, just because strawberry sticks from one company, it does not mean strawberry will stick from another company. Just like if vanilla sticks from company A it does not mean Lime will stick also from company A. Diff scents work diff in diff products to. It is all trial and error to formulate what you are looking for.

This is a personal observation. I think LUSH & B&BW are using too much scent in their soap. I think too much scent in manufactured products may be contributing, with some other factors, to people becoming chemically sensitive in general.

It's really important, then, for us to stay within the safe-use guidelines with scenting materials so we're not contributing to the whole chemical sensitivity issue.

This is just my opinion, but if I want a scent to stay on my skin, I will use lotion or perfumed oil, or perfume. I just don't worry if my soap scent doesn't stay, because it's a wash-off product.

Exactly what Mandolyn said...it's a wash-off product, so while the scent may linger on the skin for a little while, I don't expect it to last. Layering fragrances, such as using the soap, using a scented lotion, and then using the corresponding body spray works the best to maintain a scent.

use 1oz of frag per pound. I have made many soaps and these are the only ones i found that stay on skin:
wild mt honey(peakcandles)
black canyon(peak)- stays on hubby for 4 hrs!
french vanilla amber(peak)
warm vanilla sugar(peak)
can you tell i love peak!?
If you love a scent, i would add it to a base lotion(wsp or aquatech has some nice base lotion)then you know you will smell good!

honor435 said:
use 1oz of frag per pound. I have made many soaps and these are the only ones i found that stay on skin:
wild mt honey(peakcandles)
black canyon(peak)- stays on hubby for 4 hrs!
french vanilla amber(peak)
warm vanilla sugar(peak)
can you tell i love peak!?
If you love a scent, i would add it to a base lotion(wsp or aquatech has some nice base lotion)then you know you will smell good!

Patchouli is a good stick-to-skinner as well.

Back