&^%$ you scales!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuckoo Bananas

Reaction score
Does anyone else have scales that have an auto off to save power?

I was just measuring out my lye and right in the middle they just turned off because I was measuring too slow. I was watching them as I measured so was pretty sure I knew roughly what the measurement was and when I turned them back on and did the maths of how much it still needed I went a bit lower just to be on the safe side. The measurement was originally for 6.79oz lye at a 5% superfat so as long as I was right in my quick maths I should have 6.60oz lye. I figured it was best to be a bit under than risk being over. And I didn't want to try pouring it back to re measure it properly as I could see that being really tricky!

Anyway it's for my first salt bars so hope everything still goes OK!

Oh, I hate that, too! I've figured out a trick, though, that works well with my scale. What I end up doing if it's taking me too long to weigh something is to press down on the scale with a free hand (or elbow) every so often in order to confuse my scale into thinking I'm still weighing when I'm not, so that it stays on. Works like a charm. Just in case, though, I've taken to weighing out my container when it's empty, and then I write the weight of it down so that if my scale ever does go blank I can subtract the container weight from the total weight of my container with my stuff in it when I turn the scale back on. Then I can figure out exactly how much more I need to weigh out.

IrishLass :)

The best thing I ever did was to buy a set of Salter Scales (flat type) from BigW for $79. It turns off after 3 minutes of no activity. :wink:

Yep, gotta hate it! I do the same as IrishLass, although, the other day my batteries went flat in the middle of weighing, no warning nada! eaaak, DH and I raced down to the shop to get the batteries. I have to admit though the batteries lasted 3 yrs, they came with my $99 digital scales from avon.

I marked the dry weight on each of my containers in felt pen, when I first starting having this happen, or I turn it off between hard and soft oils.

I've figured out a trick, though, that works well with my scale.
Mine is too smart, it doesn't fall for such cheap tricks :p After a couple of minutes, it goes to sleep, doesn't care if the president is speaking on TV.

Keeps me from getting lazy. But for 10 bucks, I am not really complaining.

Mine doesn't turn off as long as there's some changes going on. I do the same as IrishLass if I'm concerned I might be going too slow!

I do the same as IrishLass and I also have made a list of how much each of my soaping containers weigh empty and keep the list nearby for the times I can't trick my scale.

[/quote]it doesn't care if the president is speaking on TV.
.[/quote]

Maybe the scale is smarter than you think :twisted:

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Mine is the same - and it seems to switch off even when I'm pouring, and therefore increasing weight. Like others, I have a list of the weights of my empty containers beside me when I soap (and a calculator).

Very frustrating :evil:

it doesn't care if the president is speaking on TV.
.[/quote]

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BlueValkyrie said:
Mine is the same - and it seems to switch off even when I'm pouring, and therefore increasing weight. Like others, I have a list of the weights of my empty containers beside me when I soap (and a calculator).

Very frustrating :evil:

I was doing the touch it with your hand trick but then still I was pouring slowly (working around a chucky bit of lye) so I thought it would be OK as the weight was still increasing, albeit slowly, but nup, whammo, they still turned off, I'll have to be trickier next time and make sure I do the touch it trick as i'm pouring just to be on the safe side.

AND I'll measure out all my containers today!!!! I never thought to measure my lye jugs before but had measured all my oil containers so I can predict how much I have left at any stage. DUH why didn't I think to do my lye jugs as well! lol

Mine has done it too, but only with the lye! Ugh, I had to pour it out and start over. I hate those micro beads, they get all over the place. Now I just bump the scale obsessively. :lol:

I have 2 scales; one battery only and the other with AC adapter. The battery only scale shuts off frequently. The electric one not so much.

Oh my gosh - I could definitely not put up with my scale shutting off in the middle of weighing! When I first started soaping and went looking for a scale, I made sure to get one that disables the auto off feature when the ac adapter is plugged in. It's just a simple, low end escali. I did pay more for it than finding one at walmart or something, but definitely worth it as I NEVER have any weighing hassles!! :)

I never have my scale turn off but if it did I have the weights of my bowls and containers memorized or written down so I can figure out where I was if it turned off between oils.

My biggest complaint is digital scales that are slightly fickle. You weigh in grams and it can't seem to make up its mind if something is 65 or 66 grams. I think it's atmospheric pressure. The air being heavier or lighter. This doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes.

My old scale would lock while I was pouring I would have to liftthe bowl set it back and start pouring again. I recently bought a new one from
Soapequipent.com that you can adjust the length of ine between auto offs. I really like this scale over the other two I had in the past. Withthe cover for the buttons so push buttons while cleaning it up.

Here is what I had to do with mine so it would stay on longer. Weigh Response Speed (and also the Auto Turn Off adjustment) on the KD 7000:

With the scale off, press and hold the HOLD key (don't release), then press and release the red Power key. Release the HOLD key and wait about 5-6 seconds while the scale counts through the power up routine. It will then display nbx (x=current setting). Now press MODE to scroll through the selections (nb0, nb1, nb2), stopping at the one you want. Press TARE to confirm. The display will then show Off 0 (disabled), Off 2 (automatic turn off after @ 2 minutes), or Off 3 (automatic turn off after @ 5 minutes). Select the automatic turn off time by pressing MODE until it displays the one you want and then press TARE to confirm. The scale will return to normal weighing mode.

Maybe that's something similar to yours?

BakingNana said:
it doesn't care if the president is speaking on TV.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

And again- :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back