Wrapping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madartist

Reaction score
How do you wrap your finished bars of soap?

In the past I've wrapped my soap completely in cellophane and then put a cigar band with labels that have my logo, ingredients and fragrance attached. I leave one bar unwrapped so people can sample the fragrance.

I have read, however, that soaps need to breathe (even after curing) and have seen some people wrap only in a cigar band (leaving ends exposed to open air) or display their soaps "country style" in a bushel basket with no wrapping at all.

I like the idea that completely wrapping the soap keeps the product clean and dust free, but is it detrimental to the integrity of the soap?

I haven't wrapped any of my soaps in cellophane, but I believe there are special plastics you can wrap them in that are breathable. I'll be peeking at this thread to see what other feedback you get!

Fuzled said:
...but I believe there are special plastics you can wrap them in that are breathable.
Yes I've seen this product used in an expensive system. (which is what prompted me to ask the question.) I was wondering if it was worth the investment. My handwrapping looks good, but I was wondering if I was ruining my soap, by wrapping with regular cellophane.

wrap-sample.jpg

BTW...THANK YOU for a speedy reply....This same post has sat on another forum for 4 days with no response at all.

I use either shrink wrap bands(ends of the bar stay open) or cardboard boxes for my soap. I did cigar bands for awhile, but the bars were getting damaged at craft shows, so they needed more protection.

At shows, I have one 'naked' bar of each fragrance out for people to pick up and sniff. For the pretty soaps (swirls, etc.) where color sells, I usually do the shrink wrap bands instead of the boxes.

I wrap in Polyolefin shrink wrap. It beathes letting moisture and the soap fragrance come out. The kind I use is also perforated (tiny holes that are too small to see with the eye) but you can get it non-perforated which is fine too... it still breathes.

Other plastics are probably fine but they don't make it easy for your soaps to continue curing. Also if you've noticed - the first thing people do with soap is put it to their nose... and if you are using PVC shrink wrap, all they smell is burnt plastic. Polyolefin let's the scent come through though it sometimes takes a day or so after I wrap.

xyxoxy said:
and if you are using PVC shrink wrap, all they smell is burnt plastic.

Tho mostly I use polyolefin I have used PVC, and still do in some cases - and all my customers smell is nothing. certainly not "burnt plastic".

I also use PVC on many other products. No burnt plastic smell to those either.

I don't have a burned plastic scent, either, just the fragrance of the soap from the open ends. And the bar continues curing very well. I've done several 'test bars' where some were wrapped, others in soapboxes, others left naked and they all cured at a very similar rate and reached the same weight and percentage of water lost at very nearly the same time.

i dont cellephane, i like soap boxes with the window in front, so they can see it and smell and it still breathes. elelmentsbathandbody has some also wsp(cheaper, but leaves some smudgy marks.

I am new but for my jewelry I make my own boxes from cardstock. I wonder if you made the window boxes out of cardstock would it affect the soap??? Anyone know?

what do you mean affect the soap? the boxes i buy have a window that is open, no cellephane on window.

xyxoxy said:
Other plastics are probably fine but they don't make it easy for your soaps to continue curing.
This is probably the most important point for adequate ventilation, and what I was sort of referring to when I asked about affecting the soaps integrety.

xyxoxy said:
Also if you've noticed - the first thing people do with soap is put it to their nose...

... Polyolefin let's the scent come through though it sometimes takes a day or so after I wrap.
Yep, I've noticed that. Even when they pick up a bar marked UNSCENTED, LOL.

SilverMaple said:
I did cigar bands for awhile, but the bars were getting damaged at craft shows, so they needed more protection.

Right now, I'm only selling through my salon and a few spas in the area. Soon, (hopefully within the next day or so) I'll be on the net. In the salon, clients must be a bit more "careful" than the masses of customers a craft show brings, 'cause I haven't seen any damage from handling (so far anyway). But then again, I have "testers" out for sampling (they are 2oz jars with screw tops, filled with soaps from each batch). They choose the fragrance from the testers and select from a stacked inventory displayed behind the testers. When the online store opens, each soap (and anything else ordered) will be cradled in bubble wrap, so I'm not worried about that. Now, next fall I do intend to try some craft shows. THAT may be the place I package in boxes. Not crazy about adding the expense but it's better than being stuck with damaged merchandise.

I havent noticed any affects on soap from boxes, some of the less exp. boxes do leave smudge marks from overhandling. Wsp, less exp leaves smudges, elements, no smudges even after much handling.
Good idea having testers to smell.

I tried boxes, cigar wraps, cellophane bags and nothing really worked for me.............Now if suddenly everyone wanted to buy Lynnz soap and I had serious cash flow I would have personalised printed boxes.
But I now just cut two squares of cellophane and push it down into a kraft bag then sit the soap in it..........you have cello sticking out the top of the bag..........tissue works well also. Looks nice and I staple a card with my contact details to the bag. Next time I pack some soap I will take a pic as I am not good at descriptions.

honor435 said:
I havent noticed any affects on soap from boxes, some of the less exp. boxes do leave smudge marks from overhandling. Wsp, less exp leaves smudges, elements, no smudges even after much handling.
OH! (sometimes I'm SO dumb!) Here I am thinking that acid in the cardboard could effect the soap. Or that oil from the soap could be absorbed by the box, leaving stains. You mean, like, fingerprints...LOL :lol:

I would imagine that the more expensive boxes had a coating to make it shinier, and more resistant to fingerprints and staining. I've used candy boxes for a guest soap set. They have this type of coating And they are pretty easy to customize with some ribbon and a label. I think it looks good with MP stuff, but for CP, I think the more organic look and feel of kraft boxes is more of a continuation of the contents it holds. I'm guessing "Elements" is a website that sells soaping supplies?

guest-soaps.jpg

honor435 said:
Good idea having testers to smell.
Thanks, but it wasn't 100% original. I was scoping out a craft show last fall, just seeing how people were displaying and promoting their wares (prepping for trying craft shows myself, next fall) and the one booth that impressed me had ziplock bags with an unwrapped soap in it to try. I liked the "clean" feeling the protected sample gave me, but the "baggie" was aesthetically lacking ... I just gussied up the idea.

Back