White hair like things on soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christellita

Reaction score
Hello all,
I made a batch of patchouli lemongrass soap. On the outside, white silver like clearish hairs appeared. I did not resize so that you could see what i'm talking about:
P1070022.jpg

If I cut that off, the soap underneath looks great. Here's a picture of the before (right) and after (left).
P1070023.jpg

Has this ever happened to you?
I did a zap test, and I didn't get zapped. Hmm...
Thanks!

would you look at that.. its hair! lol

Im not a soap book person, I read them all twice around.. Im more of a trial and error person.. so no experience with this one..

Maybe a book smart one can come along and find an answer for ya .. sorry

I say shave it off! lol

that's a new one on me!!! but if it's not zappy then you can handle it any way you wish I guess.

Did you cover it with that brown paper thing i see in the background, if so id be willing to bet its some of the fibers from it which adhered to your soap... so no problem at all...just a little fuzzy :)

nope- i didn't cover it with that.
if a soap is lye heavy, is it possible for it to have risen to the top/outsides of a bar? or would it be incorporated throughout? it's weird, it seems like it's a reaction to the air- because the sides and top have it, but the bottom doesn't.
Weird!

Definitely weird. Maybe you could sell it as hair growth soap. Just kidding.

Digit

Humm... I've had lye come out of my soap before and it was a clear liquid.... not a fuzz.....

How about Chia-Soap! Cha-Cha-Chia!

Does it have a smell or anything.... maybe fungal hyphae? Although I would doubt there would be anything in your soap for the fungus to grow on (nutrient wise).

:D

hmm, not really, it sort of just sliced right off.
hee hee thanks for all the creative perspectives of how to look at my hairy soap! :wink:

xyxoxy said:
Hmm... maybe it was that 5% Rogaine superfat

OMG I hit the back button before I realized what you were getting at then I was ROFL so hard I couldn't quite get back here to type this. I am still having trouble typing.

the top picture is very magnified so hard to tell, but the bottom one looks like ash to me

kaseencook said:
Maybe you have stumbled across a top secret recipe for soap that grows hair!

He he he, how do you use hairy cat soap? does the hair lather :) Can you get hair balls?
That is exactly what I was thinking!! She figured out the way to make soap grow hair!!

My soap has cat fur stuck on it in shower. :roll: My cat likes to get in shower.

Digit

You know working as a groomer I hate when a Cat comes in, however; we do have some that rub up against the hose and pur for the whole bath.

My mind is going crazy thinking about cats in showers etc, but seriously, as I was washing my hair (yes, hair) with my soap, I wondered if the chia soap was either cut when it might have been a bit soft OR if the knife may have had some water on it when the soap was cut?

I ask because when I put my hair soap back down, the sudsy bubbles looked like they might have been similar to what was shown (hair excluded) and then had minute ash that formed on it. Just a thought :p

Latest posts

Back