Marbling/White Streaks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSM

Reaction score
HELP! We have been having issues with some of our CP goat milk soap in which these kind of marbled spots with white streaks come up and ruins (at least the look) of a large portion of our batch.

The top photo is how it should normally turn out and the 2nd picture is the marbling we've had with some batches.

The third photo is freshly cut compared to a cured bar with the same issue. I know it's not an issue with the scent as the cured bar I compared it to is Unscented.

It kind of seems like streaks of lye that aren't mixed in properly and (maybe) causing seperation of oils or something. But another problem is that it didn't happen to all the batches we made, it didn't seem like there was much rhyme or reason as to why it happened to some and not others. Very lost! I have been searching online and can't find any photos that look like this!
1000008879.jpg
1000008873.jpg
1000008886.jpg

I had something similar to that happen last month when I tried to make a much larger batch than I usually do. It turned out that batter at the very bottom of the container did not get blended into the rest of the batter. I think some of the lye sank to the bottom of the container and produced a lye-heavy soap when it was poured into the mold. Is there any possibility something similar might’ve happened to this batch of soap?

Have you tried a zap test on the spots? Be very careful if you do!

I salvaged the batch by putting the soap into the oven and turning the it into a well-blended hot process soap, which worked very well.
IMG_5444.jpeg

Latest posts

Back