Which bottle is better for premixed colorants?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have both of these bottle types and am wondering if one is better than the other for premixed colorants. It seems most people use the condiment-type bottle. It seems nicer because it is more pliable and you can cut the tip to give the hole size you want. But I don't forsee filling it very full so the smaller bottle has some appeal to me even though it is more rigid plastic and the hole size is small and fixed.

Have any of you used the smaller type, and if so, did it work okay?

Oh the worries of a soaper!

bottles.JPG

I used a 4 oz. bottle (like the one on the right) with a Yorker tops. Each bottle holds around 5 oz. of premixed colorant (1 oz. color + 4 oz. glycerin).

I like the smaller size of the one on the right, if you don't foresee using boatloads of colorants, and the fact that you can close it is nice. How hard it is to remix probably depends on what you use to suspend your colorant; shaking up glycerin doesn't seem like it would be easy, but oil or water would not take too much. The condiment bottle has more overall utility if you intend to multi-purpose it.

My frother will fit through the top of the 4 oz. bottles, but's it's too short to reach the bottom. Someone needs to contact the makers and tell them soaper's are ready and willing to buy some that are a little longer any time they're ready to make them.

I didn't think about the frother reaching the bottom. I just checked -- it doesn't reach in either! And not only that, but the whiskhead won't fit inside the neck of the smaller bottle :-(

Last edited:
I thought about having DH come up with something a little bit longer and sticking it on the end of a dremel tool to stick in there to remix after the colors have been sitting for awhile. I just need to catch him when he's home to do it.

Hmmm...Does anybody besides me wonder what would happen if you filled that bottle on the left with colored soap, inserted the tip beneath the surface of a neutral-color bed of soap in a loaf mold, squeezed really hard then repeated the process several times? Anhbody care to take a guess of the outcome? Any "Mikey's" out there willing to try it?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc[/ame]

Soaping 101 did something similar I believe with a frosting bag. It looked like squiggly lines from the tip that was on the bag.Sorry I don't have that one bookmarked.

I'm thinking with the bottle approach that you could get a more explosive burst from the tip...(don't go there...this is prime time). Theoretically, you could inject the color then swirl with a hanger for added effect. If I didn't have such a hectic week planned I go home and try it tonight. Then again, this might be one of those experiments to try with pudding first to get an idea of how the distribution pattern would work.

I found little 2 oz bottles like the one on the left at Marshalls and they are great for small amounts of colorants. Wish I would have bought 2 set of them (3 per set).

Done it. You don't get the diarrhea, I mean, the explosive effect you would hope. It just makes a blob. However, that blob can then be swirled and if you keep constant pressure and run the tip along a line, you will lay down a line of color which may or may not be round depending on how even your pressure is and how steady your hand. But then you can swirl it!

Back