What's for Dinner tonight ? What are you having ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No dinner tonight other than toast. We were out today so had lunch about.1.15pm, I had butter chicken with rice, pappadam and flat bread, broccoli and cauliflower in it, Dh had fish and chips.Not that hungry after a big meal.

Oh lord, there's been a LOT of cooking in my house lately....and some dammmm fine meals, I must say 😁 :thumbs:

Last night was beautifully browned crepes made from pre-soaked lentils (so stupidly easy it isn't funny) which I added a little bit of my rye sourdough starter to - because why would I not LOL :nodding: If you make crepes, for the love of god give the non-stick pans a pass & cook them in some beautiful ghee (awesome for high temperature cooking) in a cast iron pan. You will not regret it. Actually, incinerate your non-stick, because it's making you sick, slowly but surely.

I stuffed those DEEE-LI-SHIS crispy-around-the-edge-tender-in-the-middle puppies with marinated tofu, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, ginger, onion which all was sautéed very hot in sesame oil, tamari, fermented coconut sauce & sprinkled with black sesame seeds....I outdid myself, I ain't gonna lie....and yes, I am tooting everything that can be tooted TOOOOOT!! TOOT! LOL 😂 I thoroughly enjoyed that meal! As well as the leftovers for breakfast & lunch today....I love spur-of-the-moment-recipes that come together spontaneously & which end up tasting phenomenal....that's one I will be making again & again, and even making a sweet version using coconut sugar & stuffing them with fresh fruit, because YUMMO! 😄

It was an interesting afternoon of snowshoeing between loads of laundry today 😁 so I will be finishing off my lovely re-heated leftovers tossed over some beautiful brown basmati rice tonight 😊

Oh lord, there's been a LOT of cooking in my house lately....and some dammmm fine meals, I must say 😁 :thumbs:

Last night was beautifully browned crepes made from pre-soaked lentils (so stupidly easy it isn't funny) which I added a little bit of my rye sourdough starter to - because why would I not LOL :nodding: If you make crepes, for the love of god give the non-stick pans a pass & cook them in some beautiful ghee (awesome for high temperature cooking) in a cast iron pan. You will not regret it. Actually, incinerate your non-stick, because it's making you sick, slowly but surely.

I stuffed those DEEE-LI-SHIS crispy-around-the-edge-tender-in-the-middle puppies with marinated tofu, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, ginger, onion which all was sautéed very hot in sesame oil, tamari, fermented coconut sauce & sprinkled with black sesame seeds....I outdid myself, I ain't gonna lie....and yes, I am tooting everything that can be tooted TOOOOOT!! TOOT! LOL 😂 I thoroughly enjoyed that meal! As well as the leftovers for breakfast & lunch today....I love spur-of-the-moment-recipes that come together spontaneously & which end up tasting phenomenal....that's one I will be making again & again, and even making a sweet version using coconut sugar & stuffing them with fresh fruit, because YUMMO! 😄

It was an interesting afternoon of snowshoeing between loads of laundry today 😁 so I will be finishing off my lovely re-heated leftovers tossed over some beautiful brown basmati rice tonight 😊
I love my cast iron skillets too! Some I bought, some are my mom’s and great uncle’s, all look as good as new.

Question for you - what is fermented coconut sauce? Now that my picky eater has moved out of the house I can experiment more in the kitchen.

If you make crepes, for the love of god give the non-stick pans a pass & cook them in some beautiful ghee (awesome for high temperature cooking) in a cast iron pan. You will not regret it.
As someone with a dairy allergy, I would deeply regret using ghee. Yes, I have tried it, and it sadly I cannot tolerate ghee. :(

The good news is that bacon grease, beef tallow, duck fat, chicken fat - pretty much any animal fat works very well and is quite delish, as well! :)

While I love cast iron, sometimes it is just too heavy and hard on my wrists. Stainless steel is my go-to, and it is very non-stick if heated well before the fat of choice is added.

As someone with a dairy allergy, I would deeply regret using ghee. Yes, I have tried it, and it sadly I cannot tolerate ghee. :(

The good news is that bacon grease, beef tallow, duck fat, chicken fat - pretty much any animal fat works very well and is quite delish, as well! :)

While I love cast iron, sometimes it is just too heavy and hard on my wrists. Stainless steel is my go-to, and it is very non-stick if heated well before the fat of choice is added.

Enjoy your animal fats (although meats treated with nitrate such as bacon are giving you a dose of stuff your body will not favor), which are far safer than seed oils, as well as killer non-stick :) I myself am not a fan of those types of animal fats having grown up vegetarian - I am no longer vegetarian - but they definitely are good for the body. I wish I could do the bone broths etc, but haven't quite gotten to that point yet. They just skeez me out LOL 🤢 😂

FYI people who believe or have been told they have 'allergies' & 'sensitivities' are actually having issues digesting food due to compromised digestive systems / digestive enzymes which are not functioning properly. Pasteurized dairy is garbage. Raw milk & raw milk products are king....or queen 😁 It is the mass production of food into forms which our bodies cannot handle which are one of the causes of so many 'allergies'. If we start going back to how we used to eat - soaking grains & beans & legumes at least 24 hours before cooking, eating raw dairy, sourdough bread & fermented foods & so on, as my family did when I was growing up, our bodies immediately begin to change. I have started the process of going back to those ways & am noticing a difference very very quickly.

Look into Weston A Price. That man did a LOT of research in his day. Someone who was way before his time, much like my grandmother.

Yes, stainless steel, when used properly - a skill which few people seem to have anymore - is fabulously non-stick, as is cast iron. But for those who can't handle the weight of cast iron, stainless is the next best thing, for sure.

I love my cast iron skillets too! Some I bought, some are my mom’s and great uncle’s, all look as good as new.

I think I got most of mine from thrift shops, if I remember correctly. They get regular use! :)

Question for you - what is fermented coconut sauce? Now that my picky eater has moved out of the house I can experiment more in the kitchen.

It is made from the sap of coconut trees, then fermented, a little salt might be added. It looks very similar to natural soy sauce (the stuff that's actually fermented) but is slightly less dark, and is slightly sweet. Goes nicely with tamari or soy sauce. It's mild in flavour, but definitely adds a nice touch to various dishes.

Enjoy your animal fats (although meats treated with nitrate such as bacon are giving you a dose of stuff your body will not favor), which are far safer than seed oils, as well as killer non-stick :) I myself am not a fan of those types of animal fats having grown up vegetarian - I am no longer vegetarian - but they definitely are good for the body. I wish I could do the bone broths etc, but haven't quite gotten to that point yet. They just skeez me out LOL 🤢 😂

FYI people who believe or have been told they have 'allergies' & 'sensitivities' are actually having issues digesting food due to compromised digestive systems / digestive enzymes which are not functioning properly. Pasteurized dairy is garbage. Raw milk & raw milk products are king....or queen 😁 It is the mass production of food into forms which our bodies cannot handle which are one of the causes of so many 'allergies'. If we start going back to how we used to eat - soaking grains & beans & legumes at least 24 hours before cooking, eating raw dairy, sourdough bread & fermented foods & so on, as my family did when I was growing up, our bodies immediately begin to change. I have started the process of going back to those ways & am noticing a difference very very quickly.

Look into Weston A Price. That man did a LOT of research in his day. Someone who was way before his time, much like my grandmother.

Yes, stainless steel, when used properly - a skill which few people seem to have anymore - is fabulously non-stick, as is cast iron. But for those who can't handle the weight of cast iron, stainless is the next best thing, for sure.
We are very familiar with WAP, as well as AIP, low FODMaps, GAPs, probiotic foods, etc. Raw milk is still unfortunately a no-go for both of us. It's a dream to someday get there. We've worked very hard on gut-healing and have come a long way, but healing is a process, and a very individualized one at that. With both of us having serious long-term toxic exposure in our past, we are committed to working on it for life.

Because we don't know what others have been through, or what they have already tried, I strive to ask questions first, before making recommendations. I also try to remember to ask permission:

"Would it be ok if I share a suggestion with you? Feel free to stop me at any point if you already know this."

We are very familiar with WAP, as well as AIP, low FODMaps, GAPs, probiotic foods, etc. Raw milk is still unfortunately a no-go for both of us. It's a dream to someday get there. We've worked very hard on gut-healing and have come a long way, but healing is a process, and a very individualized one at that. With both of us having serious long-term toxic exposure in our past, we are committed to working on it for life.

Because we don't know what others have been through, or what they have already tried, I strive to ask questions first, before making recommendations. I also try to remember to ask permission:

"Would it be ok if I share a suggestion with you? Feel free to stop me at any point if you already know this."

Yes, healing is an individual journey. That said, I am not responsible for how others react to any advice I might share. I am not forcing anyone to listen to or implement anything I am saying. Free choice. That is also part of the healing journey. Understanding our own personal triggers & where they originate, moving past them for our own greater good :)

Back on track here -

I'll be making my version of vietnamese summer rolls for dinner with cellophane noodles, mince, shredded lettuce, grated carrot, mint, shallots and a sauce I buy for dipping. A cold dinner for a hot day coming up.

That's funny, because I am making something similar tonight with prawns I got from my neighbour which are so incredibly naturally sweet! 😁 Which reminds me, gotta get them out of the freezer to thaw!

Yes, healing is an individual journey. That said, I am not responsible for how others react to any advice I might share. I am not forcing anyone to listen to or implement anything I am saying. Free choice. That is also part of the healing journey. Understanding our own personal triggers & where they originate, moving past them for our own greater good :)
No offense taken at all, friend. I assumed the best, that you offered the information out of kindness and a genuine desire to help. You and I share many of the same values related to healthy living, natural cures, etc. You have much valuable knowledge to share and are very generous in doing so. In the same spirit of kindness, my intent was to offer what I've learned the hard way about how to best share this knowledge with others in a way that helps them to actually receive it. That's what we both want, right? :)

If my suggestion came across as critical or upset rather than constructive and kind, you have my apologies. Learning the art of both giving and receiving constructive feedback will always be part of my healing journey, because I always want to reach higher, while also paying it forward (and backward, up, down, and sideways). 😁

I'll be making my version of vietnamese summer rolls for dinner with cellophane noodles, mince, shredded lettuce, grated carrot, mint, shallots and a sauce I buy for dipping. A cold dinner for a hot day coming up.
Sounds fantastic! We are having leftover shoulder roast - it's always better the next day, when the flavors have melded. :)

No offense taken at all, friend. I assumed the best, that you offered the information out of kindness and a genuine desire to help. You and I share many of the same values related to healthy living, natural cures, etc. You have much valuable knowledge to share and are very generous in doing so. In the same spirit of kindness, my intent was to offer what I've learned the hard way about how to best share this knowledge with others in a way that helps them to actually receive it. That's what we both want, right? :)

We could go down a 6 lane highway with this discussion LOL 😂 I find human beings amusing in many contexts, which I include myself in, and we all have so many different personalities, past emotional traumas, physical issues, psychological quirks etc. I honour that. It's what makes us who we are as a species. Even animals have different personalities. Living an existence where people or even animals are all behaving in the same manner based on what they believe is correct or incorrect would be like living within a cult. I will say that how I share information depends on the situation. If I am privately sharing information with someone one on one, I sometimes choose to handle things differently as opposed to a group setting.

If my suggestion came across as critical or upset rather than constructive and kind, you have my apologies.

No apologies necessary, at all. I will forgo any apology myself as I know what my intent was & the energy which I offered the information in :) If it was not received as such, that is outside of my control. I am always excited to share information which might help someone, even if it's not relevant to the person it's offered to. I also know that, I am always learning, always, which I also feel is exciting. If someone shares something with me I already know, I honestly feel a great deal of joy to know that others are also understanding these things, if nothing else. It means we are moving forward in healing as a collective ❤️ THAT is priceless 😊

After I peeled my prawns - will have to leave their shells on next time for extra flavour! - I decided to make curry rather than rice paper wraps! 😁 Red Thai coconut milk curry, over a bed of beautiful quinoa again, because I love the stuff 😊 I didn't intend on making a literal gallon of curry, but that's the way it turned out LOL so will be sharing some with my neighbour tomorrow who has been feeling not great for an extended period of time.

As I was washing dishes & prepping jars for making infused vinegars for selling this year, feeling incredibly grateful for the abundance in my life with my stomach full of amazing curry, this thread got me to thinking about how many people can't afford to eat nutritious meals, or who have never learned much regarding nutrition.

What about carbon steel…it’s lighter than cast iron.

Not a problem. I love cast iron but i find it too heavy for me now. Look at Lodge…they are down in the States. They sell cast iron and carbon steel.
Most of my cast iron is made by Lodge, but as you noted, it's heavy, so I don't use it as much. I'll check out their carbon steel for sure. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back