What's for Dinner tonight ? What are you having ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight we are having - Tasmanian salmon with crispy skin, salad - Cos lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber from the garden, homemade potato salad with egg mayonnaise, touch of dry mustard for spice and shallots in it and cabbage noodle salad - this is my favourite and wombok is in season at the moment.:)
https://www.recipetineats.com/changs-crispy-noodle-salad/.

I had that crispy noodle salad one time when someone brought it to a potluck at my house. It was delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

We had beef stroganoff for dinner tonight, made from leftover prime rib we cooked for Christmas dinner. I'm using the last of the roast, now mostly bones, to make soup for the coming week.

We had Mexican chicken soup from the freezer. I like making big batches of soup in my 8qt. Instant Pot, and then freezing about 4-6 servings in these round containers. This allows me to pull out a container from the freezer, dump the frozen block back into the IP for 20 minutes to reheat, and have dinner ready quickly when I've neglected to pull something out ahead of time.

This particular recipe is a crowd favorite and easy to pull together from stuff on the shelves (a la Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade, if anyone remembers that cooking show). Most of my ingredients come from Costco, and I make it all in the IP, but it translates pretty easily to the stove if that's your preference.

Ingredients
3 cups rice
2 quarts chicken stock or bone broth, divided
1 whole large chicken breast, cooked and chopped or shredded (rotisserie chicken from Costco is perfect for this)
1-2 cups of fresh or frozen veggies of choice. A small bag of baby carrots or sliced carrots works well if you aren't into chopping.
1 can (15oz) of your favorite beans
2 small (4oz) cans of mild hatch green chiles (about ½ cup from the large Costco jar)
1 large (28oz) can of green enchilada sauce, more to taste

Directions
Add rice and 1 quart of stock/broth to IP.
If using any hard root veggies such as carrots, add them now as well.
Cook the rice on high pressure for 10 minutes, with natural release.
Add all remaining ingredients, including any softer, quick-cooking veggies like frozen peas.
Seasons to taste with cumin, salt, and pepper.
Add more stock or enchilada sauce to reach your preferred consistency and taste.
Optional garnishes: cheese, sour cream, fresh avocado slices, a drizzle of hot sauce, crushed tortilla chips, etc.

If possible, make this one day ahead of time, as the flavor improves greatly over 24 hours.
To reheat from frozen, place the frozen block of soup in the IP.
Add ½ cup water or chicken stock to prevent burning.
Heat for 20 minutes on high pressure.

DH found some lamb chops on sale, so he splurged... it's lamb chops baked with a rosemary-balsamic glaze, plus green salad and some rice. 😋😋
What kind of lamb chops ?- chump, loin, forequarter, leg. Remember we use to have a butcher shop - I love loin, although too expensive now.

Tonight I'm doing pork loin chops with left over salad.

Dh cooked last night we had nachos with pork and beef mince, sriracha sauce ( Dh, calls it spear a cockroach sauce), cheese, tomato lettuce We do alternate nights cooking.

The other night it was Indian prawn-sweet pepper curry over a bed of tri-color quinoa - so incredibly good with my neighbour's wild-caught prawns & organic vegetables. The prawns themselves are sweet, and added to the sweet peppers in the from-scratch curry.....YES MA'AM! 😊 😋

Tonight, it was homemade pizza with organic, locally raised beef, tonnes of organic vegetables (I mean piled like 4 inches high LOL) & 3 cheeses - mozzarella / feta / aged white cheddar - on a beautiful rye crust....so filling, so delicious, so healthy.... ❤️ and I got enough leftovers to last at least 2 more dinners, if not 3. I like cooking large amounts of food every couple of days, which leaves my time free for other wild endeavours 😄

And now, some fire-roasted Samoan cocoa pods with herbal infused honey. It's loaded with bioavailable magnesium, so very much awesome for the heart, bones & sleep 😁 Awesome way to end the day!

Aura is home for a brief visit on break from college. She expects to be in an apartment next fall. "Mom, while I'm home, I want to cook more so I can learn to not have to use a recipe." She means for the simple, meat-and-potato type of meals. Most of the time I cook like a grandma, so just by looks and smell, unless it's a more complicated or new dish. (Husband has simple tastes)

Last night was the mashed potato lesson, served alongside a pre-packaged pulled pork from Costco.

I'm not cooking tonight either, last night I was lazy and we had chicken/cheese patty things with chips, some garden tomates, shallots and spear a cockroach sauce. Rice cream for dessert.

I had to look this one up. Like chicken pot pie made with ham?

Pretty much, yes, the way we make it. Except in my household, we like to omit the broccoli in favor of carrots. My mother doesn't add any veg, just serves it on the side.

It sounds weird to combine the ham with the cream of chicken, but it is very comforting. And, the kids love the crispy parts of the drop biscuits.

Last year, a friend and I had to drive up to Mother's house for a funeral. Half the trip was in a snow storm! She had Plantation waiting for us. Perfect winter comfort food.

Latest posts

Back